Oil Light Cutting Out

leon540

I've just drove up to my house left the car outside ideling because I was only grabbing some stuff plus no spaces in street. Anyways as I went to pull away the car cut out after the oil light flashed 3 times. I've put a litre of oil back in and it was fine but I'm just wondering if anyone would know what is wrong.

Also what oil does the car take?? Ibiza cupra gti 16v

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
is it using oil? if so could be a leak/head gasket gone

cutting out? can you explain more, does it start then die? does it idle fine? only when moving?

leon540

is it using oil? if so could be a leak/head gasket gone

cutting out? can you explain more, does it start then die? does it idle fine? only when moving?

no not using the oil. I drove the car from work to my house ruffly 15miles I got out left it outside for 1-2mins max then went to pull off light flashed then it cut out. No power steering, brakes managed to roll her into a space. Idling fine 750-800rpm

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
so it's still cutting out when moving? or is it fine now?

it could be alot of things to be honest

1) coil pack
2) HT leads
3) rotor arm/dizzy cap
4) gunked up throttle body (also the TB sensors)
5) cam position sensor

i would clean out the throttle body with carb cleaner
also checking the dizzy cap/rotor arm
then check the sparks coming outta each HT leads

leon540

so it's still cutting out when moving? or is it fine now?

it could be alot of things to be honest

1) coil pack
2) HT leads
3) rotor arm/dizzy cap
4) gunked up throttle body (also the TB sensors)
5) cam position sensor

i would clean out the throttle body with carb cleaner
also checking the dizzy cap/rotor arm
then check the sparks coming outta each HT leads

it was cutting out when it moved. But after i put a litre of oil in seems fine it'll be going to garage on monday for a service it is due. Also I've been getting IN 02 on my maf screen.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Did you check the dipstick to see if it needed oil? Cutting out is not usually related to low oil (engines without oil seize and don't restart) and these cars don't have an oil level sensor in any case. Oil light flashing means low pressure, a pump problem or a blocked pickup.

Suggest you check your dipstick now. It can tell no lies (provided you're parked on a level surface). Just adding a litre of oil without checking the level first is a dangerous thing to do, you could easily have overfilled it which can be very damaging.

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
id second what muttley said...too much oil i sometimes as bad as not enough, if the lobes are churning through it, you could possiably make air bubbles and you may pick up one of those..... is the car knocking??

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
I always butt in in on posts like this - from the sounds of it, its the darn crank sensor again. I blamed an oil problem when my crank sensor failed as car conked out with oil light flashing. Nothing to do with oil. Just that the oil pressure is misreported as engine has died but ignition is still on and car in gear moving at speed etc.
Get a vag com on it - pretty sure its gonna be that.

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
but the fact that he or she had put in a litre of oil, begs the question either way, now its got to much, or it had not enough

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
yeah you shouldn't of just put oil in if it wasn't actually low!
i assumed you'd checked when putting oil in!

leon540

just a update car running fine today no problem drove like a dream. sorting out a full service this week or just an oil service as i'm low on money.

leon540

back again. car isn't running fine stalled twice while idling behind traffic. would a crank sensor cause it to stall or isit the oil pickup??and are they cheap to replace??

richypanic

Seat Cordoba 2.0 16v SX
Nov 8, 2008
Aldershot, Hampshire
Crank sensor will cause it to stall/cut out, yes. Seems to happens more when the engine is cold. It often will restart straight away or eventually after it has cooled down completely.
You have exact same probs I did and it seems to be a common fault these days on SCN (do a search) maybe due to the age of the car and winter weather combo.
£170 all in with labour/parts/vat for me last year.
If you can get a VAG com on it, do so. DONT pay a garage to charge/insult you £80 just for the pleasure! Though fault doesnt always flag on Vag com even if it is the fault.
(did on mine tho)

leon540

Crank sensor will cause it to stall/cut out, yes. Seems to happens more when the engine is cold. It often will restart straight away or eventually after it has cooled down completely.
You have exact same probs I did and it seems to be a common fault these days on SCN (do a search) maybe due to the age of the car and winter weather combo.
£170 all in with labour/parts/vat for me last year.
If you can get a VAG com on it, do so. DONT pay a garage to charge/insult you £80 just for the pleasure! Though fault doesnt always flag on Vag com even if it is the fault.
(did on mine tho)

luckly enough it starts straight away. I'll take down to the garage see how much they rip me off + it needs a service.

leon540

update again. All fixed for under £90 crankshaft sensor was £49, diagnostics and fitment £40. Was expecting to be alot more quite happy it was this cheap. :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.