Oil light keeps coming on

Prau187

Dec 5, 2015
I've just bought a Cupra R on a 53 plate and the oil light keeps coming on when there is wnuf oil in the engine but it has started to make a loud ticking noise on the top of the engine when it is started

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi mate, there's a 99% chance that the pick-up in the sump is blocked/clogged, it's a common problem on these engines . You need to get the sump off and clean or replace the pickup ASAP or it will destroy the engine and turbo very quickly. If it was mine i wouldn't drive it again until you have sorted it.

Last edited:

Prau187

Dec 5, 2015
Thanks pal I've just bought the car today it has stated to make a loud ticking noise now I've not drove the now it's at my mates garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prau187

Dec 5, 2015
Do you think it might be the oil pump aswl while I was driving the car to the garage it started to loose a bit of power aswl and the ticking noise went louder

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Yeah theres a guide above to replacing the pickup mate, not sure if you saw it. If it's in a garage with a ramp then it's dead easy to do. The top ends of these engines sound quite ticky at the best of times, so i shouldn't worry too much, sure it will be fine once the pickup is replaced.

Last edited:

Prau187

Dec 5, 2015
Cheers mate I'll get that's checked out thanks pal

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Do you think it might be the oil pump aswl while I was driving the car to the garage it started to loose a bit of power aswl and the ticking noise went louder

Although that doesn't sound great, i'll keep my fingers crossed your bearings are ok. It depends how low the pressure was tbh buddy, don't think it will be the pump, just the blockage.

Last edited:

Prau187

Dec 5, 2015
Ok mate thanks I'll get that checked out the blockage i hope there ain't no damage done

Prau187

Dec 5, 2015
Hey pal I've cleaned out the pick up pipe but I've got a problem it's letting out loads of white smoke

Prau187

Dec 5, 2015
I think it's burning oil and it doesn't smell nice plus it's started to come out a bit from the from the smoke when it warms up

Prau187

Dec 5, 2015
Hmm yeh it could be the seals what abt the turbo

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.