oil light on my 20vt help please :(

seatcupra2001

Apr 26, 2009
Andover,hampshire
hi i was on a drive yesterday about 50 miles an my oil temp touched 120 then started to flash red and beep i pulled over in a lay by less then a minute on idal went straight bk to 90 which is normal running temp... its never happed before so im kinda worried what could be the problems? thanks jason:(

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
If its the gauge next to the fuel gauge in your dash. thats your coolant temparature not oil. Thats what you seem to be describeing.

Classic syptoms of your waterpump on its way out. Have you had your cambelt changed? did you ask them to change waterpump with it?

seatcupra2001

Apr 26, 2009
Andover,hampshire
If its the gauge next to the fuel gauge in your dash. thats your coolant temparature not oil. Thats what you seem to be describeing.

Classic syptoms of your waterpump on its way out. Have you had your cambelt changed? did you ask them to change waterpump with it?

yeah that right its the 1 next to the fuel gauge yea cambelt an water pump was changed at 46000 ish ive done 84000 ish so would that be the problem? i hav'nt tried it this morning but like i said it went red then light came on an bleeped at me but then took it nice an easy an stuck in inbetween 90-120 thanks for your help:D

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
They probably changed it for another plastic impellar one which after time loosens on the shaft so at high speeds the shaft spins and not the impellar so not circulating your coolant around the engine and overheating it.

And then on idle the shaft is spinning slow enough to spin the impellar so circulating your coolant and cooling your engine. Thats your problem i think, new waterpump!

the vag group have since improved the waterpumps and now you can get a metal impellar one which is best to ask for

Hope this helps

seatcupra2001

Apr 26, 2009
Andover,hampshire
Hi - do you mean the water(coolant) temp gauge? If so it could be a sign that your waterpump is failing/failed

Sorry... I started typing this reply about 30min ago and I see it's already been diagnosed :D

lol any help is better then nothin im hoping its the water pump ive herd there quite common on these engines

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
They probably changed it for another plastic impellar one which after time loosens on the shaft so at high speeds the shaft spins and not the impellar so not circulating your coolant around the engine and overheating it.

And then on idle the shaft is spinning slow enough to spin the impellar so circulating your coolant and cooling your engine. Thats your problem i think, new waterpump!

the vag group have since improved the waterpumps and now you can get a metal impellar one which is best to ask for

Hope this helps

I dont agree with that tbh. VAG dont supply 1.8T metal impellar water pumps, never have. The replacement water pumps are modified and as yet I havent seen a modded one fail again.

I personally would use a modified genuine water pump over a pattern metal one any day of the week. You get two years warranty on a genuine one (as non gen is usually only a year) plus if it were to fail and cause engine damage as long as it was fitted by a garage with a VAT receipt you could well claim the engine damage back from SEAT, i doubt Unipart or similar would offer such a gurantee.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Mine is metal and came from seremotors a seat dealer on here.

Then I would think they supplied you with a non genuine one maybe?

Ill check but everyone i've ordered with the correct part number off ETKA has been plastic.

seatcupra2001

Apr 26, 2009
Andover,hampshire
just topped up the engine coolent a took it out warmed up normaly drove about 3 miles then went a bout 100 on the temp an lost boost got bk a ran vag com coolent said temp said 110 so is this defintly signs of the water pump?? thanks jason

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
pressure drop isnt normal mate... but wont be casuing your issue either.

id be looking at thermostat or cts first before going waterpump tbh... but to be safe then pump change would be adviseable

have you checked the coolant hoses if you say there was a puddle?

seatcupra2001

Apr 26, 2009
Andover,hampshire
pressure drop isnt normal mate... but wont be casuing your issue either.

id be looking at thermostat or cts first before going waterpump tbh... but to be safe then pump change would be adviseable

have you checked the coolant hoses if you say there was a puddle?

yea i checked my hoses no splits or anything but wen engine is running water is still trickerling back into the coolent tank so the pump might not be gone?:(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.