Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Oil Light??

Discussion in 'Leon Mk2 (2006-2012)' started by Dave_88, Apr 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dave_88

Dave_88 Dave The Rave

Was wondering if anyone else has an oil light that works on their mk2? Mines the tdi 140 sport and a couple of times when ive checked the dipstick its been bone dry and a light hasnt even come on on the dash? :confused: I no you shouldnt rely on a light but it also acts as a good indicator for any other problems. Also when the level drops to low the car goes into "limp mode" and doesnt rull full boost. Is this a safety featue to prevent wear or is this just happening because the engines realy low on oil?

help appreciated :D

Dave

2. owen lcr

owen lcr orvil

im sure it goes into limp mode when it hits the low level sensor aswell as bringing a light on the dash, sounds like yours is going into limp mode but not showing the light? think you light may be fooked. have you got MDF on your car?

3. Dave_88

Dave_88 Dave The Rave

I found out that when i got the car the engine had been changed so it had a brand new engine in when i got the car. So maybe they havent plugged a cable in? Yeah I have MDF

4. owen lcr

owen lcr orvil

did it come up with a warning on the MDF when the level dropped to low

5. techie

techie Skoda Techie

As far as I know as we dont run variable servicing we dont have a sump level sensor.

6. Dave_88

Dave_88 Dave The Rave

No it never either. Its just got me slightly worried especially if it happens when im on a long run.

7. owen lcr

owen lcr orvil

strange, the only thing i can think of is that the sensor is diconnected so it isnt getting the signal. may be a naffed level sensor also mate

8. Dave_88

Dave_88 Dave The Rave

im near sure that the oil light doesnt come on when i turn the ignotion on but ill have to check. Anyway of knowing where the sensor would be situated?

9. techie

techie Skoda Techie

The sensor is in the bottom of the sump, but like I say cant say i've seen one fitted on a SEAT as yet.

10. Dave_88

Dave_88 Dave The Rave

mine has a sensor plug on the bottom of the sump but no plug is plugged into it.

11. HotHatchSteve

HotHatchSteve Active Member

My oil light does not come on with ignition either. According to a mechanic mate VAG does this with a lot of cars because they reckon by the time the light comes on its to late.

12. Dave_88

Dave_88 Dave The Rave

So they go into "limp mode" rather than put an oil light on?

13. techie

techie Skoda Techie

Right, the oil pressure light and the oil level light are two seperate things.

When you order a replacement sump and/or engine they always have the hole in them so recon engines or new sumps will eather have a blanking plate or a level sensor bolted into place to blank the hole off even if not required.

14. WeeG

Same thing happened to me mate, car wouldnt start, checkedthe oil, was bone dry when i shut the bonnet the car started but was in limp mode, until i topped it up. Next day i changed the oil. And no lights, apparantly a vag mechanic i spoke to said if thelight comes on its to late lol

15. Dave_88

Dave_88 Dave The Rave

awesome glad ive cleared that one up it got me slightly worried :D