Oil on FMIC

CupraOl

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
Was washing the car today and noticed through the mesh in the front bumper that from where the pipe goes into the FMIC (bottom left hand side when looking at car from front) there appears to be quite a lot of oil/soot type muck on the outside of the FMIC. The side nearest this pipe is definitely the dirtiest and there appears to be quite a big oily/sooty patch on the FMIC.

Car is a Tdi if this makes any difference. It drives normally too. Is this anything to be worried about? Should I look at taking the intercooler off and cleaning it out and/or uprating/changing the pipework?

Thanks.

Nightscape

My sidemount is caked in oil. Its because the crank breather goes into the front of the turbo. Oil catch can will solve this, dunno where sells them right enough.

CupraOl

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
It's not actually in the intercooler but can clearly be seen on it if you look at the FMIC through the front bumper (bottom left hand side where the pipe joins the FMIC). Is this normal?

Seat_Ibiza_Cupra_TDI_160_cv_1152_4.jpg

Crappy MSpaint arrow to show location of patch on intercooler FTW! :lol:

Last edited:

TonyK

Vodka?
Jul 16, 2006
Northampton
Possibly a cause for concern, might be a cracked pipe I had that last year. Have you checked around it for oil anywhere else?

CupraOl

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
I'm going to take a proper look over it in the next couple of days - may whip the bumper off. I've been thinking about going for the Forge pipe kit, or just going for the whole replacement lot from Spitfire. I've already have one pipe give in on this car, and I'd go for one of these two purely from a reliability point of view. Could also take the IC off and give it a clean out in the process.

N417H4N

Jul 24, 2012
Mines doing this on the bottom right corner. Always has done i think. What's the best course of action apart from general cleaning regularly?

Will I need a new fmic?

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Mines doing this on the bottom right corner. Always has done i think. What's the best course of action apart from general cleaning regularly?

Will I need a new fmic?

Oil around boost pipes intercoolers etc is a sign of a boost leak so in other words yes your intercooler has a hole basicly my Cupra tdi has oil in the Bottom right hand side also the opposite side to the pipe it's leakin from the alloy end tank where it crimps to the core quite a common problum basicly beacause it's not got a welded core it's only sealed and grimped.

Mine will be getting changes in a few months because its getting worse and ill be replacing it with a fully welded intercooler (THS) intercooler straight swap plus it's slightly deeper so better at cooling

N417H4N

Jul 24, 2012
Oil around boost pipes intercoolers etc is a sign of a boost leak so in other words yes your intercooler has a hole basicly my Cupra tdi has oil in the Bottom right hand side also the opposite side to the pipe it's leakin from the alloy end tank where it crimps to the core quite a common problum basicly beacause it's not got a welded core it's only sealed and grimped.

Mine will be getting changes in a few months because its getting worse and ill be replacing it with a fully welded intercooler (THS) intercooler straight swap plus it's slightly deeper so better at cooling

If left what will happen apart from the leak getting worse, is there a risk at damaging turbo etc?

Apr 13, 2011
hull
No not really just will possibley get worse mine has been leaking for quite some time now and it's only just started to et to the point that its noticeable due to smoking more than useual.

I'd serjest just keep an eye on it but I wouldn't worry to much my self I havnt worryed about mine lol

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Same issue here, the bottom left as you look at the front of the car is totally black with oil. Might have to have a go at taking the bumper off and checking pipes.

Apr 13, 2011
hull
If it the bottom left (offside) of the intercooler that's where the pipes go so I defo would be cheaking them before writing off the intercooler I'd it's the right (nearside) then it will be the cooler at fault

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.