Oil Pressure Gauge - ls it worth it or not...?

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
l'm putting a Nomad pillar in my LCR at the weekend with a boost gauge but l'm wondering whether its actually worth while putting an oil pressure gauge in too :confused:

Any views......???

Last edited:

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Yeah, thats my thoughts! l used to have one when l was running older VW's as it was always useful information to know but l wasn't sure whether it was just a waste with the Leon.

Do you know if they're easy to fit?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
True, but surely oil pressure is a much more useful thing to have compared to oil temperature?

Oil temp tells you when you should be easing off a little (or fitting a better cooler), Oil pressure tells you when your engine is ailing............

.....which is why oil temp is more popular.

Watching a pressure gauge can make you paranoid....... has it dropped a bit? :scary:

turbin

oil pressure gauge also tells you when the oil is warm enough once you get used to the normal operating pressure.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
However, if your pressure is off for whatever reason, you won't know the temperature is correct because it'll be thrown out by the pressure being incorrect in the first place, surely? Or am I missing a trick?

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
Nar, that makes sense, but you would get used to what the pressure 'should be' and then you'd soon know if something was wrong when it changed or wasn't its usual......would you not :confused:

turbin

However, if your pressure is off for whatever reason, you won't know the temperature is correct because it'll be thrown out by the pressure being incorrect in the first place, surely? Or am I missing a trick?

Well, thats why I have a pressure gauge. The first 10mins its reading high. The remaining drive its fairly constant around 75psi during normal driving. Smuuth sailing.

turbin

turbin - How did you fit yours?

senderoilpressure.jpg

Like this. El. sender. Theres a bolt on top of the oil filter housing that does nothing. Perfect for the job.

turbin

So.......just bolt the sender wire on top of that? :confused: Now called me stupid, but how does that work?

yes pretty much like that. Remove the bolt that is there for no reason particular. Bolt on sender unit ( I needed some adapters ) You'll get ground trough the treads. Wire to gauge and tally ho.

D_O_U_G_I_E

100% Beach Bum
Aug 26, 2008
Midlands
yes pretty much like that. Remove the bolt that is there for no reason particular. Bolt on sender unit ( I needed some adapters ) You'll get ground trough the treads. Wire to gauge and tally ho.

Oh.....cool! So how exactly does it pick a reading up? :confused:

turbin

You mean how the sender works? ... Im no engineer but I ass-u-me there is a tiny dwarf inside the sender who reads it of a tiny oil pressure gauge and then proceeds via morsecode send the readings to another dwarf inside the gauge itself who in turn rotates the indicator.

yea, that's it.