Oil usage

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Hi all,
I'm a bit worried about the oil usage of my car, 1.8t auq. The car has done 115k and seems to be using about a litre of oil every 1-2k miles, I haven't noticed any smoke from the exhaust and don't see any oil on the drive. I'm pretty sure that it is running the original turbo.
Should I be worried or is it normal for a turbo engine to use oil, but then if it uses oil how much would be too much.
Thanks,
Ed

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
Hi all,
I'm a bit worried about the oil usage of my car, 1.8t auq. The car has done 115k and seems to be using about a litre of oil every 1-2k miles, I haven't noticed any smoke from the exhaust and don't see any oil on the drive. I'm pretty sure that it is running the original turbo.
Should I be worried or is it normal for a turbo engine to use oil, but then if it uses oil how much would be too much.
Thanks,
Ed

Does seem heavy consumption. I've had mine from new and it's always used a litre in about 5k. Getting close to 140k now and not much difference. Have you taken the undertray off to see if any oil is collecting there? These engines sometimes leak from the cam cover and breather at the rear of the engine and a fair bit of sludge can collect in the tray before you get drips on the drive.

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately there are no undertray on the car and I have had a look previously, can't remember why, and there were no signs of oil leaking.

jamiea69

Jul 10, 2011
bristol
my lcr drinks it, always has done ever since i bought the car 6 years ago. car runs fine, just have to keep on top of it. so i wouldnt worry about it too much if i was you.

Midlife_crisis

Jun 1, 2016
Thanks guys, sorry for the late reply but I'm using shell 5w-40. Asked a question a while back and was told this oil is good to use. I'm not keen on using castrol oil as I found it left gunk in the engine of my polo and my father in law had the same issue on his mk2 gti. Have been using shell oil ever since and have had no issues with it. Could use castrol but was advised against flushing the engine.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Mine was losing oil very slowly and nothing visible on the drive. Turns out the oil sump drain plug / bolt had disintegrated and needed replacing.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise