Oil...What to use in your TDI

oilman

Forum Sponsor
With the PD engines, one of the 5w-40s via the link above is the best option, or you can go for a 5w-30 507.00 spec oil. They are both 5w, so will give the same cold start protection

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-754-vw-50700-oil.aspx

I would not use a 10w-40 in that engine as 10w-40s do not meet the necessary specs. Same applies to most semi-synthetics, they can't deal with the pressure of the PD engines. There are a couple of semis that meet the specs, but they cost the same as the synthetics, so go for one of them.

Cheers

Tim

RLyons

Sep 20, 2010
Does it matter that these oils are longlife? I don't want to have longlife service intervals.

Madmalc

I have been trying different oils in my remapped Leon, it was a 150 BHP, so far the best stuff I have found is Castrol Edge. Its a fair bit more expensive but definately worth the extra cost in my eyes.

Madmalc

Edge is a good quality oil, but there are better and they are often cheaper. Is yours a diesel or petrol, what year is it, and what Edge are you using?

Cheers

Tim

Mine is a 2004 diesel, I couldn't honestly tell you which edge it is but I have tried different types of oils and so far the one I have got seems to be the best. Since having the car remapped tho I tend to replcae the oil about every 6000 miles so its pobably not cost affective but the car does seem to run a lot bettr on fresh oil.

gorbaczow

Motul Vw 505.01 5W40 best oil ever for TDI.It works perfect in high oil temperature after fast driving.

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
Daft question time..... How do you know which is the best oil for a particular engine without running it on a dyno for power, economy, durability tests and maybe even stripping the engine to check wear over 150 k miles?

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
Defo stupid question

You dont, just listen/read what the experts or ppl with same engine say and with a bit of luck your engine will last forever( we can dream )

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Daft question time..... How do you know which is the best oil for a particular engine without running it on a dyno for power, economy, durability tests and maybe even stripping the engine to check wear over 150 k miles?

Well we have had a lot of oils chemically tested, so we know how they should behave and the results you should expect.

Also we sponsor a lot of drivers and if they say they oil has protected their engines, that's a pretty useful bit of info for us. One example that stands out was a guy that went from using pretty average oils in his track Cossie and would have it rebuilt at the end of each season. He called us after the first season of sponsorship to say thanks for recommending an oil as the engine builder took the engine apart as per previous seasons and thought he'd only done a couple of races, rather than the full season.

Cheers

Tim

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
Good answer that im satisfied with. Have sent a request for best oil for pd 130 engine moded to 205 bhp that does track day with oil temp of 120 degrees.

johnp2

fuchs TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE III SAE 5W-30

does any use Fuchs TITAN GT1 LONGLIFE III SAE 5W-30 is it any good ?

Ian McN

Hi,
I've got a 2010 Ibiza CR 1.6 Tdi - can anyone please let me know the viscosity of the oil required - I take it that it needs to be fully synthetic and is it the Quantum brand (PD Platinum 5w/40 or Synta 10w/40 or Longlife III 5w/30 seems to be the choice) that should be used or its there a better alternative? I don't fancy going to the 10,000 mile mark before an oil change on a new engine - despite that the dealer advises(!!)
Thanks in anticipation of your advice!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise