Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Oil...What to use in your TDI

Discussion in '(Archived) Engine Discussion and Tuning' started by prc, Dec 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Viking

Viking Insurance co's are crap.

That oil is fine. :)

2. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

As already said it is fine, it is just bad wording.

What they mean is if you have a PD engine on fixed service without DPF you would normally use VW505.01 as there is no need for a longlife oil.

Cheers

Guy

3. mymorph

mymorph Full Member

im looking at a cheap oil & filter change by national tyres (£33) for our TDI fr pd130

national tyres are recommending:

castrol edge 5w-30

whereas i think it should be 5w-40 deisel turbo (505.01) for fixed interval servicing which this car is

see here for castrol info

what do you think?

4. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

That is fine, the Castrol Edge 5w-30 meets te VW507.00 spec, this is also suitable for the PD engine.

Cheers

Guy

5. gingerben

gingerben Active Member

Hiya opie,

Stuck on oil choice and service due soon, am a fan of mobil 1 esp, but now have a pd150 and for last to services have used Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40, oil gets changed every 5000 miles what would you use mobil or castol, or somethink elce.

All the best
    ben

p.s Engine gets a good work out, Very regularly :)

#565 gingerben, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  6. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

Hi Ben

I'd go with the Edge TD 5w-40. It's a good oil and being a little thicker than the ESP will help with enthusiastic use.

Cheers

Tim

7. kev11

kev11 Guest

Hi,
    I also have the ibiza TDi FR PD130 2004,
    a bit confused if I should use 5W30 (as recommended on all websites, halfrauds, eruocarparts, castrol) or 5W40 which is 505 01?? Thank you:help::help:

I'm not sure if my car has a DPF?? how can i find out?? thank you

#567 kev11, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  8. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

Your car can use a 5w-30 VW507.00 spec oil or a 5w-40 505.01 oil as it doesn't have a DPF (to my knowledge, it's too early for a Seat to have a DPF). What those sites are doing is recommendind the latest spec on the basis that it's also fine for earlier cars, and yes that's fine to do, but if the car gets harder than normal use, I'd go for the 505.01 oils as they are a little thicker.

Cheers

Tim

9. kev11

kev11 Guest

Cheers Tim, i'm gonna go for the 5w40 castrol edge.

10. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

Good choice, if you get it from us then you get 1ltr extra free.

Cheers

Guy

11. Nam-uk

Nam-uk Active Member

just done a service using Castrol Edge 5W-30 but i first used Forte Diesel Engine Flush which is class:D the Leon TDI 150 (ARL) has done 49k, Question is with me doing only 3k a year would you still change the oil every 12 months and would you use a Engine flush every time? this is my first Diesel as i did the oil changes on my old car every 12 months which was Petrol.

12. TornadoRed

TornadoRed Full Member

Only 3k miles a year? I would suggest that at least once a month you drive far enough/long enough to get the engine good and hot, so that any moisture that condenses in the engine will boil out of the oil. 30 miles or so ought to be enough. But this is necessary for any car which is used for short commutes, where the engine normally doesn't get very hot for very long.

Then, I think changing the oil every 2 years ought to be fine. The oil is not going to wear out sitting in the sump, or accumulate any impurities, or change viscosities.

13. mymorph

mymorph Full Member

yep. if it were mine id 2yrs and not worry at all.

14. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

Yep, the Edge 5w-30 is a longlife oil, good for 18months or so at that mileage.

Dont bother with any engine flushes, ever. Quality oil is all you need.

Cheers

Guy

15. mymorph

mymorph Full Member

i never knew that, ive never used engine flush because im too tight and always thought it was best too. i know feel alot better about it:p

16. Nam-uk

Nam-uk Active Member

Good to no , i only flushed it due to not knowing which grade off oil was used before at seat , they may of used 5-40 , one seat garage said 10-40 was used which i thought was odd.

17. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

It's a bit of a weird one, cleaning the engine out seems like a good idea, but it doesn't work out that way with the problems that can be caused.

18. Nam-uk

Nam-uk Active Member

the problems may of been there in the first place, one reason people hate flushes ..

19. asthpsw

asthpsw Full Member

Does anyone know who Manufaturers Quantum Oils on behalf of VW Group ?

I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 Diesel for many years in my 110BHP TDI non PD that requires 505.00, the main reason is to protect the Turbo bearing ASAP in mid winter on Emergency response calls.

I have been offered some Quantum 5W-30 Longlife III. Is This a suitable oil in the same league of Mobil 1 ?
    Is VW 507 for Diesels ?

Do VW add additives to the base oil to make it up to their spec ?

Paul

20. oilman

oilman Forum Sponsor

I think Castrol/BP might make the Quantum, but don't assume it's as good as one of their own oils. All of the own brand oils are made by one of the big manufacturers to a reduced budget. It means the oil is fairly cheap (sometimes), but it's also lower quality than the branded stuff.

505.00 isn't a massively hard spec to meet. It has to be a decent oil, but not as fussy as things like the 507.00. If you want the best cold start protection, use a 5w-40 ester based synthetic. Although the 0w-40 Mobil will flow a little quicker, the ester content of the top 5w-40 oils means that there is already a layer of oil in place, so it's protected from the moment the engine starts working (like in the Castrol Magnatec adverts, but it's a lot better at it than the Castrol). The one's I'd consider are the Fuchs Pro S, Motul 300V, Redline, Millers CFS and Gulf Competition.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40-engine-oil.aspx

Guy, the other Oilman on here, uses the Pro S in his PD engined Leon (which is harder on the oil than the non-pd diesels) and the other oils I mentioned are on a par with the Pro S. At the moment, with the price of the Gulf, I'd go for that. Although those oils do not officially meet the VW specs, unofficially they far exceed 505.00 and 505.01.

Cheers

Tim