OK convince me....

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
As you know I'm bored to death "riding the torque" of the TDi Ibiza. I've had enough, I want POWER!!!

So I'm looking for a 20vt again, and I want something larger than an Ibiza too. So far I've been looking at S3's S4's ( Old shape but they all have 0000000's of miles on )

I've had plenty of people telling me I should just get another R and sort the suspension out. I'm probably the only person to have owned an R and thought the handling was crap, wallowy on bends and crashy over anything thicker than a leaf.

But plenty of people have told me that they've fixed it with suspension mods... So is there anyone who has in the Reading area that would be prepared to meet up and take me out for a spin to convince me this is true?

Oh and assuming I can be convinced anyone want to part-ex a TDI Mk4 for an R? :lol:

Pete

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
What was it you did exactly again mate?

I know you offered, but at the time I was doing high mileage and that influenced me changing cars. Now I only do 7 miles each way so I'm getting no benefit from the derv engine ;)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
What was it you did exactly again mate?

I know you offered, but at the time I was doing high mileage and that influenced me changing cars. Now I only do 7 miles each way so I'm getting no benefit from the derv engine ;)

See the sticky ;)
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91243

I know a few guys at the Herts meet have suspension mod's, it's a bit of a trek but maybe worth a shot????

You have me worried about swapping to an oil burner now :(

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
:lol: Pete - I'm sure there's a thread somewhere where you said you "don't need all that power, anyway".

I think everyone knows what you're getting at about the suspension, but they perhaps don't think it's as bad as you did.

LCR with sorted suspension are nice, I would say be careful that you don't take it too far though (i.e. too stiff, too thick an ARB). But again there will be different opinions on that. I think yermother's is about right for road use/track days, others I've been in have been too stiff with not enough roll.

What's your budget?

I saw an S3 the other day and while it still looked "the business" it suddenly looked quite an old shape. S4's were never 20vt, the B5 was the 2.7t (good to mod for ultimate POWA), B5 RS4's are "cheap" and B6 S4's were the V8 4.2 but they're all front heavy. I'd have thought they'd be fine for road use though.

I had (have?) a love affair with Awesome's B6 Avant (1.8T with a Stage 3+ kit), that started me looking at either buying it, getting a B6 and modding it (lots of OEM part upgrades, seats, steering wheels etc) or looking at 4.2 S4's.

Love the B6, esp. the avant, best shape, very smooth looking. Look smart de-railed or with chrome rails, lowered a smidge with some big rims. I think they can carry some bling in an understated way (contradiction?) and just think how much ice you could get in the back of an estate ;)

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
Mine has pretty much all the suspension mods that Steves did - it's a smelly tractor but you're welcome to have a spin in it to see if you prefer the way it handles. It won't be as compliant as a car with KONI FSD though :)

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
:lol: Pete - I'm sure there's a thread somewhere where you said you "don't need all that power, anyway".

I think everyone knows what you're getting at about the suspension, but they perhaps don't think it's as bad as you did.

LCR with sorted suspension are nice, I would say be careful that you don't take it too far though (i.e. too stiff, too thick an ARB). But again there will be different opinions on that. I think yermother's is about right for road use/track days, others I've been in have been too stiff with not enough roll.

What's your budget?

I saw an S3 the other day and while it still looked "the business" it suddenly looked quite an old shape. S4's were never 20vt, the B5 was the 2.7t (good to mod for ultimate POWA), B5 RS4's are "cheap" and B6 S4's were the V8 4.2 but they're all front heavy. I'd have thought they'd be fine for road use though.

I had (have?) a love affair with Awesome's B6 Avant (1.8T with a Stage 3+ kit), that started me looking at either buying it, getting a B6 and modding it (lots of OEM part upgrades, seats, steering wheels etc) or looking at 4.2 S4's.

Love the B6, esp. the avant, best shape, very smooth looking. Look smart de-railed or with chrome rails, lowered a smidge with some big rims. I think they can carry some bling in an understated way (contradiction?) and just think how much ice you could get in the back of an estate ;)

I've got a £13k budget including any mods I might want to do ie suspension. I know the S4 isn't 20vt, but it's a nice engine with pletny of power :D

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
See the sticky ;)
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91243

I know a few guys at the Herts meet have suspension mod's, it's a bit of a trek but maybe worth a shot????

You have me worried about swapping to an oil burner now :(

Swapping to the oil burner was the biggest mistake I've made personally. It may not be something that bothers you but the short rev range and the fact that I halved the power I had really wasn't for me. Plus the Mk4 has so much road noise I get a headache, I never even got around to putting my ICE in it...

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Mine has pretty much all the suspension mods that Steves did - it's a smelly tractor but you're welcome to have a spin in it to see if you prefer the way it handles. It won't be as compliant as a car with KONI FSD though :)

Thanks for the offer mate but it's an LCR I need to experience. The TDI's and cupras handle better than the R IMO anyway. Beckys Leon TDI FR is better handling wise than my R was.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
:yes: Sorry. Too flat for me. Might be better on the track though.

Furry ****, probably the thick ARB's I went for 25mm and 28mm. Maybe a thinner rear ARB would have suited you.

I'd recommend keeping a chunky front ARB though :shrug:

Pete don't forget all the Neuspeed ARB's have 3 settings on them soft/medium/hard depending where you put the bolts.

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
I think TDCupra is just about to have all the above mods done on his R anytime soon if not already done i know he has def gone for eibach springs and FSD's cos he was part of the JKM group buy he is down south somewhere too but cant remember where

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
pete, sod 1.8T :D

2005 MG ZT 4.6 V8 260 SE 4dr
Price:
£11,500ovno.

Features: 13,300 miles Manual SILVER Petrol 4 Door Saloon 54 reg (2005) Full Description: Glossary of Terms
Manual, 13,300 miles, Silver. ABS, Alarm, Alloy wheels, SatNav/TV/6CD, Traction Control, Air Con, XPower Exhausts, Accufab Throttle Body, Tinted Windows. Full MG Service History. Transferable Warranty until 09/2007. MOT Jan 2008, Tax Sep 2007. Too much to list so please e-mail for more information. Will consider part-ex for smaller car such as MG ZR or ZS - diesels included. Full inspection welcomed, all paperwork here. Tyres 3000 miles old. Made redundant end of Jan, so car has to go. for full details of this iconic Q car (883 made). MG Owners Club member. Comes complete with some spares, mats etc. NO CANVASSERS - Not interested, so don't waste your's or my time. Sale only acceptable during banking hours to confirm funds. Test Drive - Please bring along insurance certificate showing drive other cars, or will have to be me who drives you on test - thanks. £11,500. ovno

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.