OK convince me....

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Saul stop reading my mind :lol:

OK I'll put up my possibles list...

LCR ( but I'd have to sort the handling within budget )
S3 ( again with handling in budget )
S4 ( 2.7t one but mileage puts me off )
TT225 ( not sure on handling of these, suspect the same. )
MG ZT V8 ( was going to look at one this Sat but it's now sold )

I think that's the full list...

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Steve - How easy is it to change the settings once the ARB's are fitted and which setting did you use?

You could probably do it on axle stands, but best off on a proper lift.

Should be about 30mins work I guess., assuming no ceased bolts and getting good access to the bolt heads etc.......one of those easy jobs with the potential to take 2hrs.....much like most of my DIY :cartman:

I used the middle setting on a chunky 28mm rear ARB with Bilstein Coilovers

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Pete, I know a guy who lives near you who has a 1.8T TT with full Koni coilovers, uprated ARB's, and would probably be willing to take you out for a test run if you decide to go that route.

The old S3 isn't that special TBH handling wise. A nice car with some nice touches.

Old skool S4 2.7 would be my bag at your budget. Think of the bags of potential for power.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
not according to it's owners :lol:

lol, i get the impression that the opinion of the audi-sport.net gang is strongly guided by one individual.

My 80k A3 'handled' better than my 40k Cupra on stock suspension. This may well have been due to the significantly lower weight. On Eibachs/H&R, the A3 is competant but really needs the uprated ARB's.

It's all relative, the S3 ain't 'awesome' because it's still crippled by a numb chassis and low-tech suspension setup, but it's definately better than a fwd 1.8T on a mkIV chassis. Any upgrades you make to the suspension will only further the improvement.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
Pete, I know a guy who lives near you who has a 1.8T TT with full Koni coilovers, uprated ARB's, and would probably be willing to take you out for a test run if you decide to go that route.

The old S3 isn't that special TBH handling wise. A nice car with some nice touches.

Old skool S4 2.7 would be my bag at your budget. Think of the bags of potential for power.

Will get back to you on the TT, need to start looking around soon. I've found a place not far from me that seems to stock about 15 TT's at any one time. So a good place to look.

S4 2.7 is a very quick car, and more so once you've spent a bit of cash. But I've not really found any under about 90k on the clock, which for a performance car worries me a little.

Icecavern

Jun 12, 2001
Berkshire, UK
www.icecavern.com
lol, i get the impression that the opinion of the audi-sport.net gang is strongly guided by one individual.

My 80k A3 'handled' better than my 40k Cupra on stock suspension. This may well have been due to the significantly lower weight. On Eibachs/H&R, the A3 is competant but really needs the uprated ARB's.

It's all relative, the S3 ain't 'awesome' because it's still crippled by a numb chassis and low-tech suspension setup, but it's definately better than a fwd 1.8T on a mkIV chassis. Any upgrades you make to the suspension will only further the improvement.

Yes I get the same impression, but I've heard the same thing elsewhere. I would think the S3 would be a little better than the R and once the suspension is changed on both I still think the S3 will have the advantage, but again not by much.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Will get back to you on the TT, need to start looking around soon. I've found a place not far from me that seems to stock about 15 TT's at any one time. So a good place to look.

S4 2.7 is a very quick car, and more so once you've spent a bit of cash. But I've not really found any under about 90k on the clock, which for a performance car worries me a little.

May be worth having a look on rs246 website for feedback on the 2.7 in case there are any tell tale signs for big expense. The build quality is great, and the interior acoustics are quiet so will lend themselves to a great audio listening room, but you are right, it would have to be a well maintained car at over 90k to ensure no turbo problems or big bills.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
Yes I get the same impression, but I've heard the same thing elsewhere. I would think the S3 would be a little better than the R and once the suspension is changed on both I still think the S3 will have the advantage, but again not by much.

Spot on, compared to the other mkIV chassis 1.8T's it's probably the best for handling and just for visibility it's better on the road than the TT. Hacking back roads in a TT wasn't fun as i just didn't feel i had the visibility and general awareness of what was around me; maybe i was just being claustrophobic and it would be something you'd get used to in ownership :)

I think with the suspension AND the uprated Haldex controller both the TT225 and S3 would be significantly 'better' than the LCR.

Again though, you're throwing money at a concept that is inherently flawed.

Get an Elise ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.