Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
e mail me ya chassis numbers - i'll tell ya wot month they were built

;) we'll see who's older :p

StuartT

Jul 23, 2001
Shetland
Visit site
I'm also an oldie. But I think of myself as an original....
Registered Jan 2001 but it's got ESP etc. which means it a 2000 car.
Its shameful that I've only got 30k miles on the clock :(

birdbrain

Dreamer's is an X reg bought in December 2000 though it wasn't brand new.

Deleted member 2698

I'm going to look at a Jan 2001 X-reg at the weekend. Imperial blue 20VT (not Cupra spec)

Slight thread hijack this I know, but, is there any reason why I should avoid an early 20VT compared to newer ones? I don't mind spending more but would be equally happy spending less if the car is a good one. It is on sale at GC in Southampton btw.

Cheers and sorry for the hijack.

scottR

Jun 16, 2002
Central Scotland
Visit site
Agree with Mark.

I also reckon the very early Cupras were built to a higher standard - I seem to remember someone said that initial production run was in Belgium, not Spain....?

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
Originally posted by scottR
Agree with Mark.

I also reckon the very early Cupras were built to a higher standard - I seem to remember someone said that initial production run was in Belgium, not Spain....?

That explains the chocolate stains in the engine bay then.

I don't think its fair to compare the production of Belgiuque cars with spanish ones directly..
Mine will be a Belguique one probably and I have had few problems...
the problem with the Spanish cars and the Cupra R's is that they are so much more in demand and the quality control is usually the first thing to be skimped on if the compromise is between meeting sales orders and quality....any manufacturer I know myself included will allways rather meet demands and not lose orders rather than maintain quality.
turning up the speed of the assembly line inevitably leads to lower quality..its kind of a compliment to the popularity of the cars..

Its a false economy though as if the cars get a bad quality reputation orders will fall in the future.
A better plan for seat would have been to keep producing to standards but increase the price of the car .... It may well have become a cult classic like the scooby then and second hand residuals will have been improved.

dreamer

Nov 5, 2001
Essex Boy
Visit site
Mines a September 2000 X-reg of original Cupra spec., bought in December 2000.

For whoever asked, definitely no reason not to buy an older one unless you want the new body-kit of the MY03 cars or an R. They will definitely come with more standard kit than the newer ones do. Only thing is that the newer cars seem to be able to get approx. 10bhp extra when chipping.

I shall be keeping mine for another couple of years yet. It has 43000 miles with no problems and has been chipped since 6000 miles. Reasons for not changing are mainly that I can't afford to and also that I don't see the point in buying another Leon when they will be phased out very soon.

I don't think my next car will be a Seat anyway.

dreamer

Nov 5, 2001
Essex Boy
Visit site
I'm probably wrong but I can't see that the current Leon chassis has much more than 12 months of production life left.

It shares it floorpan with the Audi A3 (the old one) and the Golf IV. The Audi has already been replaced with a new A3 and the Golf V will be out in the third quarter of this year. Also, the R was released and it is common practice for the hottest models to be released towards the end of a cars life-cycle. Therefore, the Leon can't last much longer IMO.

RadCordy

Aug 2, 2002
Visit site
i think Seat would have sold loads more leons if they were avaialble in 3 door, hopefully a new platform could make this happen!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.