One question about bodywork... so close to buying

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Hello All,

I've been in the hunt for an LCR for a few weeks, and have one in particular that in my heart I have settled on, but there is one thing that my bro-in-law, who saw it with me, reminded me of.

After checking the engine components, fluids etc, the bonnet was closed, and one of the gaps between the bonnet and the driver side front wing panel had a larger gap at the bottom (ie. It wasnt the same size gap as on the passenger side). The difference wasnt huge, but it was noticeable once pointed out to me.

We asked the owner if it had been in an accident, and he said no, and that he'd never really noticed it. Didn't think that much more about it, as I got caught up with all my other checks and test drive, and granted, the chap produced everything I asked of him and hes been great at answering any questions.

I'm about to either just talk money, or get an AA inspection, but just wondering do all you guys all have perfect uniform gaps either side of your hood when closed? Or does this seem like its within manufacturing tolerances???

Just in the back of my mind, I'm thinking that he might have had a knock on the front wing and then got it all repaired, hence the odd gap? The front bumper seemed to be be fit on fine, I was close up when checking the splitter... Going to see if the AA inspection checks that sort of thing, and maybe the chassis to see if there had been any damage. I'm not really a car expert, though I know a bit about a bit, so would appreciate any help.

Wish I had taken a picture to show... :( Just want to trust the guy, but just have a nagging feeling

Thanks in advance.

JP

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
check the bolts for obvious fitting marks and compare to the other side if unsure but get ya head under the wing and inside it from under the bonnet for other signs such as a cleaner wheel arch liner or an obviously cleaner/newer bumper/grille etc

don't just look direct you will learn and see a lot more about a car by looking at other parts around it, like reading a story book some of them :)

either way the bolt on wings have room for adjustment for you to 'tweak' it to perfection

JimCupra

Aug 21, 2008
Bucks
My LC has the same thing mate, bonnet not quite spaced equally on each side.
TBH - if it has had some accident damage, and its been repaired by a reputable garage, there shouldn't be any issues?

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Thanks for the advice guys

@Funky - Its passed its AA data check, at the very least, if it was damaged, it wasnt super serious. Also driven it and it seemed to drive straight fine too.

@Jam - Sounds funny, but its just that I feel like I can trust this seller. Its been well looked after/serviced (by TTS roadsport) for the years he's had it, and he's also been open about mentioning what is wrong, scratches, paint chip etc along with being quick to answer all my questions on email and text. Saw it at his folks place, wasnt just two chaps in a car park :) so he just seemed genuine. Also, for my budget, its under mileage and has been serviced fully.

@Flapper - Debating whether or not to go see it again, or let the AA inspection sorted, as after looking, the will also check panels/bodywork etc as well as engine/transmission on a comprehensive check. I'm not the most car minded, so I guess I can look for certain things, but may not be able to spot things that others would.

@Jim - Well, at least someone else has too! Cheers for the feedback

I think that I may just be overthinking it, as I've pretty close to making an offer, and we've already talked about what he wants and what I would hypothetically offer, so it would be to decide where in between to settle. Maybe the best thing is to talk money, but say its provisional based on the AA inspection. If anything turns up then I can walk away or use it to bargain.

Will let you know how it goes...

Cheers

JP

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I wouldn't worry about it to much, we used to do pre PDI work [where cars are damaged on transporters, showrooms etc] and some brand new cars have un even gaps.

If there are no signs of any major damage and its HPI clear I'd go for it :)

Fl@ppers advice about checking the wing and bonnet bolts for signs of use is very good advice, show things have been adjusted or replaced at some point [not that its always a bad thing]

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Well, just an update - went back for a second look and drive. The bolts all seemed fine, and although the fitting of the panel and ligh could do with some fine tuning, I went for it, and got it for a decent price. Havent really given the throttle much, just getting a feel for her :) but shes lovely!

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Cheers mate!! Just finding out about all the little details etc but she drives fine for me now... I'm sure I'll be on here with some silly questions soon - in fact, already have some, but will have search round first to so that I dont just embarras myself :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.