Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Open Filters (JR-Jetex + Green)

Discussion in 'Badger5' started by ibizacupra, Feb 19, 2005.

1. ibizacupra

ibizacupra Jack-RIP my little Friend
    Forum Sponsor

Ok then..
    some options to think about.

Open Induction (noiser than enclosed kits)
    **prices Exclude vat and Carriage**
    *** Silicon Joiners/Couplers are available in Blue/Black as std........ Red are special order and +£more

*NEW**NEW**NEW**NEW**NEW**NEW*
    JR Blue Jetex Cones:
    80mm neck - £45
    Optional to push filter nearer inner wing:
    80mm silicon coupler - £5.09
    80mm Alloy Coupler - £7.71
    hose clips - £2.00/each
    Heatshield - £29
    For Ibiza, Optional 70mm-80mm straight reducing 45' elbow option so you can use the larger FR08001 filter - £17.95
    Leon180 owners, Optional 70mm-80mm straight reducer option so you can use the larger FR08001 filter - £13.95

*NEW**NEW**NEW**NEW**NEW**NEW*
    JR Blue Jetex Cones:
    70mm Neck - £38.50
    Optional to push filter nearer inner wing:
    70mm silicon 45 degree elbow - £14.40
    70mm silicon straight coupler - £4.28
    70mm alloy coupler - £6.94
    hose clips - £2.00/each

Green PowerFlow Cones:
    70mm MAF (150/180 1.8T)
    cone OD 120mm x cap OD 120mm x 200mm long, 30 degree entry- TA6.70-£76.96
    cone OD 120mm x cap OD 120mm x 180mm long, 30 degree entry- TA8.70-£79.31

Conical PowerFlow Cones:
    what I ran myself previously...
    cone base OD 140mm x cap OD 120mm x 200mm long, centre entry- CB2.70-£76.96 (good for 352bhp)

Cylindrical Cone Filters:
    same as previously supplied to some AM guys for their CAI.
    75mm MAF: cone OD 140mm x 150mm long, rubber end cap, centre fed- B6.75-£45.77 (334bhp rated)
    75mm MAF: cone OD 180mm x 150mm long, rubber end cap, centre fed- B9.75-£53.99 (429bhp rated)

Conical Cone with stud mounting (for bracket support for example)
    75mm MAF: cone top OD 180mm x cone bottom OD 100mm x 200mm long, centre fed, stainless endcap with stud- K7.75v - £52.95

Prices subject to vat and carriage

LOTS of choices.. :)

#1 ibizacupra, Feb 19, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. techie

techie Skoda Techie

Im looking for an induction kit for my Pick up.

1.6 MPi, I will measure the intake pipe and get back to you Bill.

Ross

3. BMcN

BMcN Mr. Car Carer

Wish you had just posted one Bill, now I am spoiled for choise. What size MAF is on the Ibiza?

Presume these just connect directly to the MAF? Would it be worth me getting a small bit of SS pipe made to router it a bit closer to the hole in the wing? Presume these would all just give a very deep growl and a small DV noise? What are they like for heatsoak where they sit?

You on MSN mate as I could do with discussing these with you: bmcn85@hotmail.com if you are.

4. Dormouse

Dormouse Available In Race Blue

More cones than the M25! :D

Dor.

5. BMcN

BMcN Mr. Car Carer

Looking at your pictures thats a nice one you used to have on! Where did you get the heatsheild though? And how did it sound when your car was as close to standard as possible? At a guess I'd say a LOT noisier than Dynatwist growl wise but less noise DV wise?

Bryan.

6. techie

techie Skoda Techie

Bill,

It would appear my dimensions are a little weedy when compared to a 1.8T, is there anything you have listed for my 'modest' intake ;)

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ross

7. Feel

Feel Veedubya 'velle

While we're doing innuendoes - your airbox appears to be "ribbed for pleasure"

8. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

Ibiza MAF is 70mm OD.
    Green also list straight length of rubber hose in 300mm length, which combined with a small steel connector ring, could be used to extend the filter further from the MAF, nearer the inner wing.. remembering the overall length of the cone has to be allowed for.. (depending on what takes your fancy)
    Closer to the wing is better than not, but will also say, open airfilters in a 20VT engine bay WILL allow hot air to be breathed in.. They will sound louder, wooshing on DV, growling on low rpms etc, BUT the downside is hot-warm air, particularly in the summer.

regards
    bill

9. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

There are listed 65mm ones which should clamp down to suit..
    for example:
    Power Twin Cone-65mm entry, 120mm OD, 150mm long-TA1.65-£55.50
    or
    Conical Powercone-65mm entry, 140mm OD x 120mm OD x 130mm long-AC1.65-£57.99
    or
    Rubber end cone-65mm entry, 100mm OD x 150mm long-25 degree entry-B9.65BC-£50.95
    or
    Cylindrical Cone-65mm entry, 100mm OD x 150mm long-B3.65-£31.99

and there's loads more.... but I have to stop somewhere... :)

Prices plus vat & carriage but subject to SCN discounts

10. BMcN

BMcN Mr. Car Carer

How did the one you have on perform heat soak wise? Is that a heat sheild that you had on and where was it from?

Do you think it would be ok in the summer if it was mounted as close to the wing as possible with a heatsheild and piping feeding cold air up like it does with the Dyna.

11. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

My old one (which was a Green PowerCone twin cone jobbie) as reusing Jabba's metal shield which I modded for improved MAF mouting (less vibration). I replaced the then Jabba filter which was a stainless steel gauze type. - not a type I personally like due to questionable dust filtration, so I changed for as big a twin cone as I could fit in their heatshield. There was a small feed pipe into the section which was a legacy of my old Hurricane filter-80mm flexi. It did'nt breath engine bay air like this. I cant say I experienced heat soak (but how could you tell) aswith >300bhp the odd bhp potentially lost are not missed.

If you want to make something, just shield the engine side, use the battery as a part shield also and bung in a cone filter.. The air from the inner wing will be readily available to be drawn in. (make sure the factory intake hose is removed of course to make room)
    regards
    bill

12. CupraR-Rog

CupraR-Rog Just Cruising...

Having been running an open cone for about 9 months now, I can say that the hot air issue IS an issue, but not as much of one as you may think...

OK, town driving, or if you've been stationary for a while, especially in the summer you will notice that you are drawing in hot air. Having said that though, once out on the open road, such is the airflow through the engine compartment that it isn't really an issue.

For best results, a heatshield is needed along with a cold air feed... A&M were meant to be on the ball with this but their Ibiza kits have taken the priority.

At the end of the day, whacking in an open cone filter is a cheaper option than the likes of the Dynatwist etc, and seeing as you get what you pay for, there are some drawbacks to it.

However, the bit of induction growl you get is good, the turbo noice is louder (sounds like a bigger turbo!), and the sound of an atmos dv (not loud though, but you can hear it!) are the winning points...

13. BMcN

BMcN Mr. Car Carer

Don't suppose you still have the heatsheild lying about do you Bill? ;)

I am liking the idea of ope filter and heatsheild. Dont know anyone near me that could manufacture me one. No companies sell them?

14. Freerider

Freerider Guest

Really interested in doing this as a temporary measure as i have a spare filter. Is there ne other connections like Vac pipes that need mouniting into the air intake??

Bill any idea if green will make a CAI?? Or do they have additional piping availible seperatley to create one :)

15. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

As it happens I do have my old one yes. BUT it was for IHI so not sure if std ibiza pipework would reach it. Extension piece of pipe kinda thing probably req'd. It wont be that loud tho..

Jabba sell em, but you know that.

16. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

aux air pump needs a filtered air supply. (ibiza/Leon 20VT)
    Green wont be doing an ibiza one no, but they will be doing a Golf/Leon one (not R) shortly in March they said.

The Green CAI is Dynatwist for ibiza, or RamAir, or Twister type assembly of kit from me. (RamAir and Twister being the louder of the above mentioned choice)

regards
    bill

17. BMcN

BMcN Mr. Car Carer

Why would it not be that loud? How much louder is an open filter going to be compared to a Ramair one?

18. Scotty_b

Scotty_b Leon Cupra 300R

may be no good but i have a heatshield and induction kit off my Leon R in the for sal esection, not sure if its fits tho (well i know it doesnt what i mean is can you mod it)

19. ibizacupra

Forum Sponsor

Just telling you how it was.. thats all
    Jans Lupo is much snortier than my ibiza. :clap:

20. BMcN

BMcN Mr. Car Carer

So tell me this, what differs a simple open induction kit to a CAI? Is it just that CAI have no chance of drawing in cold air?

Trying to decide between a open kit with a custom heatsheild and cold air feed from the wing and a RAMAIR. What will be noisier?