Open holes under the bonnet

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Does any one know what the open holes are for near the windscreen end of the under bonnet area, one on each side on a flat area at each side?

I ignored them the first time I noticed them on my daughter's Leon Cupra, but when she was washing the car last Saturday at our house, I noticed that road spray/dirt gets sprayed up through them and ends up on the underside of the bonnet.

Maybe some versions of Leon use these holes or my daughter's 2019 Leon Cupra has some things/trims missing, I have bought 9mm blanking grommets to close them up and so stop road spray/dirt coming up through them and making a dirty mess under the bonnet.

Reactions: Polly

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Does any one know what the open holes are for near the windscreen end of the under bonnet area, one on each side on a flat area at each side?

I ignored them the first time I noticed them on my daughter's Leon Cupra, but when she was washing the car last Saturday at our house, I noticed that road spray/dirt gets sprayed up through them and ends up on the underside of the bonnet.

Maybe some versions of Leon use these holes or my daughter's 2019 Leon Cupra has some things/trims missing, I have bought 9mm blanking grommets to close them up and so stop road spray/dirt coming up through them and making a dirty mess under the bonnet.

Sorry no idea did the same tho to stop the dirt sprayed up under the bonnet

Reactions: RUM4MO

ReddStripe

Jul 23, 2019
Lincolnshire
I want to go and check mine now you've mentioned this. But, it's cold and raining and I've got my slippers on. I'll have a look in the morning though for sure.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
As a rough guess i would say they are vent holes to get rid of condensation on the inside of the bonnet. Blocking them could lead to corrosion problems and the bonnet rusting inside out

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
They are just forward from the rear of the engine compartment, I noticed that from the link on another thread on this forum.

I don't think that they are intended to be vent holes, plenty other areas open for venting, possibly only used on certain versions/engine types - they are on the car body not on the bonnet.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Probably drain holes for water.

Still though i would not be blocking them up. They are there for a reason

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Any holes designed in for drainage purposes will have a sump/dished/angled section at their locations, these ones don't, they are on a small almost triangular shaped flat surface.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.