Opinions

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
Hi all,

Just requested a brochure from Seat on the new Leon - everytime I see that TV advert I fall for it. Beautiful car.

I only bought a new Fiesta last year - but I lost faith in it when it broke down 1 day old.

I'm just interested on whats peoples opinions are on the Leon - any hassles or gripes with it etc, as I'm thinking about seeing in to part-exing the Fiesta for one. I may not be able to go ahead with it purely because of finance etc but it'd be worth trying.

Thanks all.

BagFullOfLeon

Nov 12, 2005
Belfast
Hi

I bought a new Leon TDI sport (Black Magic) in November, and I've never looked back. I've always had toyota before, so my expectations as far as reliability are high. This is my first new car on top of everything.

Car arrived perfect, everything in working order. Driving it is a hoot; its relaxed when you want it to be, and does wheelies when you want it to.

The colour for me is great, although scratches and dirt are annoying. I try to wash/wax my car every 2nd weekend. After 1700 miles the front foglight has condensation in it, and there is a slight rattle in the dashboard towards the windscreen. Otherwise, no complaints! :happy:

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
Wheelies?! Must think it's a bike! :happy:

Is Black Magic just the colour name then ?

I assume your's is a 2.0 Tdi Bagfull? Quite surprised it's only a Ins Grp 9 but even at that it'd still be too high for me being 20 years old.

Oh, meant to say, any idea when they'll come onto the used market ?

ayeaye

Jan 12, 2006
Aberdeen
Had mine for 5 weeks now - it's a great car to drive, I think the driving position is spot on and the 2.0 TDI has power when you need it.

I've got the same rattle towards the windscreen, think it's a VW/Seat thing as my other half's Passat also has the same rattle.

saintjames

Surely they should pick these sort of rattles up in testing and seek to rectify them before going into production.

s22jcd

Jun 25, 2005
I am 20 and got a new Leon 2.0 TDI.

Got a really good deal on insurance, only paying £805 with Norwich Union. Had a Corsa before this car and the insurance on that was £550. Insurance does not seam to make sense some times.

Fatal_Angel

Jan 8, 2006
Norfolk
I got an insurance quote of elephant.co.uk and they quoted me £835 fully comp, and im only 20, so its a great car and cheap insurance, superb :)

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
Amazing, I just run a quote through elephant for £819 FC on the 2.0 TDi Sport.

Cheaper than my supposed group 5 Fiesta Zetec S TDCi!

Just need to wait and hope the prices come down on them soon though :(

slo2mad

Motor Vehicle Technician
Mar 12, 2003
oxfordshire
Visit site
Had mine 2.0Ltr TDI in zenith grey for 2 months now and loving every minute of it. I wanted a black one but the 12 week wait put me off so i settled for zenith grey and its a gorgeous colour in my opinion, much better than black.:D
I too have a rattle, well more like a vibration on the drivers side just below the windscreen some where in the dash but only on hard acceleration, bugge*ed if i can find it though.:blink:

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
I've had my tdi sport in black for 4 weeks now, I have done 2600m and loved every minute of it. Only problems I have are scratches show up very easy and I cannot get my fuel economy above 40mpg. I have tried driving like the proverbial old woman but to no avail. I must be the lucky one as I do not have any rattles or squeaks.

Would definately recommend the car though.:clap: looking forward to a good long run next week through the lake district :D

BUY BUY BUY:D :D

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
Alright mate your from Beith I see, Ayrshire I assume as long as there's no more around LOL.

Did you use Bickets ?

Tell

Staff member
THE BIG GAS MAN said:
I've had my tdi sport in black for 4 weeks now, I have done 2600m and loved every minute of it. Only problems I have are scratches show up very easy and I cannot get my fuel economy above 40mpg. I have tried driving like the proverbial old woman but to no avail. I must be the lucky one as I do not have any rattles or squeaks.

Would definately recommend the car though.:clap: looking forward to a good long run next week through the lake district :D

BUY BUY BUY:D :D

That sounds lile the fuel economy I get out of my TDI 2.0 DSG Altea, it's edging to 42 sort of. 17" wheels per chance. That is what the official Altea view is that with 17" you loose the MPG.

loadswine

loadswine
The fuel economy on my Altea 2.0 TDi DSG is worse than Tell's, low 30s round town, low 40s on a run. Goes really well though, and best auto box ever, so don't mind that its not super economical. The Leon should really move with the same engine.
Saw a black one in a pub near Chichester before Christmas and was parked alongside, lower and sleeker than mine, have to say it looked awesome.
For those with black paint, don't know if its the same as the Altea (Tinta Black), but I was worried about the scratches etc before I got mine. Supaguarded it and haven't had any probs with paint at all. Even bird lime comes off easily. Look on ebay for the kits, got mine for a tenner, dealer wanted 200 plus!!

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
Leon said:
Alright mate your from Beith I see, Ayrshire I assume as long as there's no more around LOL.

Did you use Bickets ?

No I got mine from Pinchbeck's in Andover as it is a company car.

Will be using Bickets for all the servicing and repairs though as the only other garage available is Arnold Clarks and I have had major prob's with them before.:cry:

Saw another 2 today, both black, one was a 2 tdi sport the other a ref sport in Gretna it had one of those daft baubbly things on the arial. Still not many about though.:D

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
Tell said:
That sounds lile the fuel economy I get out of my TDI 2.0 DSG Altea, it's edging to 42 sort of. 17" wheels per chance. That is what the official Altea view is that with 17" you loose the MPG.

Yup mines has 17's on it. Done a 140m run on Tuesday and set the cruise control to 70mph and managed to get 50mpg, only prob was I was bored shxxless then when I left he motorway for the A75 it dropped back to 41mpg. I suppose I will just have to put up with it after all it is an excellent car with plenty of grin factor :D :D :D

ps I have a manual not a DSG.

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
I know what you mean about Arnold Clark Big Gas Man. I thought I'd be ok with them buying a new car..but nope, they still managed to stick unleaded in my TDCi Fiesta...

Been through a lot with them, complaining to Ford, eventually ended up at Trading Standards and my 3rd service is being carried out free of charge to keep me using them as I bought my 2 year service plan upfront with the car. Time will tell whether I still have the car by the 3rd service :s

It was topped off by getting the most useless cheeky person in service other day when I was querying the service plan - so safe to say first and last time I ever buy a new car from Mr Clark!

Oh must commend Bickets - I had a brochure in the post yesterday (tuesday) and I requested it just before I posted this thread on Sunday!

THE BIG GAS MAN

Jan 2, 2006
BEITH
Leon said:
I know what you mean about Arnold Clark Big Gas Man. I thought I'd be ok with them buying a new car..but nope, they still managed to stick unleaded in my TDCi Fiesta...

Been through a lot with them, complaining to Ford, eventually ended up at Trading Standards and my 3rd service is being carried out free of charge to keep me using them as I bought my 2 year service plan upfront with the car. Time will tell whether I still have the car by the 3rd service :s

It was topped off by getting the most useless cheeky person in service other day when I was querying the service plan - so safe to say first and last time I ever buy a new car from Mr Clark!

Oh must commend Bickets - I had a brochure in the post yesterday (tuesday) and I requested it just before I posted this thread on Sunday!

Where abouts you from then?

Defo better getting a leon instead of a ford, not as plasticy inside. Bickets have got a silver TDi sport as a demonstrator incase you did not already know.
I've found them quite helpful so far.:)

Leon

Jul 29, 2003
Scotland
I live outside Ayr mate. :)

Don't get me wrong the Fiesta Zetec-S I have is a great car! great looking car and I love the pull of the diesel engine, even though it's only a 90bhp 1.6 PSA/Ford unit, and the 55mpg it will normally do which saves me money no-end!

I might pop in to Bickets some day just to have a chat, but doubt I'll be able to afford a Leon just yet probably! Give it till later this year (Leon was launched August time last year IIRC ) and hopefully there should be some good used examples.