Original MK2 Radio/Cassette player?

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
My mk2 Cupra 8v came with an aftermarket Pioneer headunit. It works fine but AM reception is pants in the car. So I swapped it over with an old Clarion that I found in the shed, added a new signal amplifier thingy and tried that. No better.
Next step was a new ariel base from SEAT. Unfortunately the only ones they supply now have a different connector, so that wasn't plug and play. I would need to replace the entire co-ax.
As I can't be arsed to strip the whole car bare to run the new wiring through which even then only may or may not cure the AM reception I'm thinking about either upgrading to a DAB headunit (if I can find a cheapo one that's half decent) and running a front screen ariel which should more or less be hidden by the A-pillar trim or even getting hold of an original Grundig SEAT headunit.
Does anyone have any advice on low price DAB headunits or better (cheaper) still have a mint condition old Grundig unit laying in a box with it's radio code somewhere? At lease with an old Grundig in place I can actually get a rough idea of where the problem lies and it shouldn't need a PITA signal booster.

For those wondering why, you're probably the type who like to plug their ipod in to their car, as for me, I like to listen to 5-live and as the old Beezer is only used around town for short journeys it would probably take me a whole month to get through as single CD! In fact I don't even know if the CD player works in either headunit I've had in the Beezer 'cos I'm a radio junkie......:)

beezertart

**MAYHEM**
Sep 11, 2007
beyond the sun
i've been wondering of late what happened to my oem headunit,i've got the box to hold the teeny face off part but i have no idea where the h.u has gone:shrug: last i saw it,it had been put away in the alpine box after i changed it...have a sneaking suspicion it got nicked out my garage! if i find it you're more than welcome to it...

Aug 22, 2008
cannock
found it and checked it all works fine

radio001.jpg

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
i've been wondering of late what happened to my oem headunit,i've got the box to hold the teeny face off part but i have no idea where the h.u has gone:shrug: last i saw it,it had been put away in the alpine box after i changed it...have a sneaking suspicion it got nicked out my garage! if i find it you're more than welcome to it...
Thanks Claire, I'll see how I get on with the ones below before I send you out to the gloom of the garage poking through boxes

found it and checked it all works fine

PM'd ya

ive stil got the standard head unit from my mk2 16v gti, its in mint condition too.

PM'd ya also

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.