Outstanding recall on 1.2

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
I recently discovered my wifes 2002 1.2 has an outstanding recall for a "crankshaft seal"

I've only found one post that relates to this on the forum from several years ago. So dont really know what it relates to specifically.

Anyone got anymore details?

Should I take it in to be done at a dealer? I really dont like my local stealer one bit, and don't have any others nearby either which could be a pain.

I'm wary that any proding around the crankshaft/drivechain area might induce the AzQ timing chain slipping.

Cheers

Last edited:

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
its a replacement of an oil seal on the end of the block where the crank damper is. i had it done on my 1.2 as it was leaking. as its a recall it will be done FOC and my dealer checked the timing chain etc while they had it apart.

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
is this worthwhile doing as mines is a 1.2 2002 model. whats the worst that could happen if i dont? any advantages to getting it done? what should i say to my dealer as i dont have warrenty obv.

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
is this worthwhile doing as mines is a 1.2 2002 model. whats the worst that could happen if i dont? any advantages to getting it done? what should i say to my dealer as i dont have warrenty obv.

Recalls are applicable on any age of car, its a legal obligation rather than a 'warranty issue'
Every dealer MUST check for recalls on EVERY car visiting their workshop.
Even if you dont use a dealer for your maintenance, I recommend ringing them occasionnally with your VIN number and asking for a recall check. That said, recalls are done in conjunction with the DVA so theoretically all cars and owners can be traced.

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
Recalls are applicable on any age of car, its a legal obligation rather than a 'warranty issue'
Every dealer MUST check for recalls on EVERY car visiting their workshop.
Even if you dont use a dealer for your maintenance, I recommend ringing them occasionnally with your VIN number and asking for a recall check. That said, recalls are done in conjunction with the DVA so theoretically all cars and owners can be traced.

so what ur saying is call them with my VIN number and tell them i want booked in for all recalls to be fixed?? sounds a tad cheeky but im not caring tbh.

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
thanks buddy, i wouldnt have cared but its a case of what u dont know doesnt hurt, so now i knoew there was aat least 1 recall i would rather make sure the cars running at its best. cheers for the imput.

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
phoned my kilmarnock dealership and lo and behold, "we'll call u back" typical. so called another dealership to check and yeah its been done, but i have a recall which hasnt been done which is the ''expandable protector cable'' for the boot. dont know must be the cable which pops the boot open but dont think i will bother getting that fixed because i havnt had any problems with my boot (touch wood).

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Happy days. Always take advantage of any offers going anywhere, even if its only one of those free wiper checks. You never know, something may be spotted by a fresh pair of eyes plus the bonus is that its someone elses hands getting dirty :lol:
There bound to be a load of things like free battery checks, fluid level checks, tyre checks etc what with winter approaching ;)

processpaul

Nov 24, 2006
Brighton
Additionally i'd like to know what's involved in this recall.

Calling the legend, David of Seremotors (always so helpful mate cheers)

If its covers off and timing chain exposed and removed, surely if i paid for the modified tensioner the dealer would fit it as it all has to go back on "refitting is reversal of removal to quote the good old Haynes way:)

well i can hope they'd offer to do that:lol:

mark1231

Sep 29, 2009

If its covers off and timing chain exposed and removed, surely if i paid for the modified tensioner the dealer would fit it as it all has to go back on "refitting is reversal of removal to quote the good old Haynes way:)

the recall is crank bolt bush and seal ring ok:clap:

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net

lol :redface:
The oil seal replacement does involve a bit of stripping, but you are entirely in the hands of your dealer as regards doing the bit of extra work. SEAT audit warranty jobcards for time taken etc so its not always simple doing extra chargeable work. That said, the longer guide and new tensioner are small money so Im sure a deal could be negotiated ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members