Over cooling Toledo

cuprasrus

I hope someone can shine some light on this problem I have...

I have just helped my girlfriend buy a 1.8 20v toledo from a local garage but unfortunately it has running temp problems.
It wont run above 70-75 on the temp gauge! It runs most of the time at 60 (minimum)...

It is under warranty with the garage we bought it from (not a seat dealer) but i would like to know more about the problem before i contact them as im expecting to get fobbed off!

Would anyone know why this is happening??

THANKS

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
maybe an underreading coolant temp sensor

you will want to get this fixed,as the car may well sit on cold start, which will drink fuel, and likely kill your cat & lambda probe (meaning an expensive MOT failure)

cuprasrus

Ill go out and check - we had to have the water pump replaced last week - as one day the temps soared to maximum and as u asked - there was no heating at all in the car....however this problem existed before and still after that water pump replacement...
The garage gave it back and said it was all working (including the running temps) fine!

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
If the heater is getting nice and warm id suspect the dash is reading wrong, temp sensor would be my first port of call.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Of course the other thing to bear in mind if the old water pump had broken up there could wel be a piece of it jammed in your thermostat holding it open and thus over cooling.

cuprasrus

Heating works fine
just left it running on drive for 10mins and temp stayed at 60.....

cuprasrus

Also- i notice that the temp fluctates between 60 and 75 very often too - there doesnt seem to be any pattern to it...just very irratic readings...

cuprasrus

MANY Thanks for all your help peeps.
I have advised the garage and they have agreed to order in a temp sensor...

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Bit late as usual....
i think you sussed it....my 20v did the same a while ago....

I hope ya girlf enjoys her motor.....i love mine
Cheers
Samantha

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise