Over temp warning light flashing when engine is cold

andycupra

status subject to change
ok, popped the hood and unscrewed the top and seen the 2 prongs that go into the coolant liquid...

the level of the liquid is roughly at the base of the LOW letters, so just above the line.

I will try and top the liquid up first and see what effect it has - i have a Leon FR 1.9 FR 150 TDI... can i get the coolant liquid from Halfrauds or is at a buy from the dealer direct?

you can get it from halfords, if you do make sure you get one thats compatable and the same colour. (never mix colours).
Or any VAG group dealer (so thats seat, skoda, VW, audi) will sell you some G12 (the coolant). or GSF etc.
The dealer is the better option if possible, as you will pay less as they come in small bottles that you then dilute. (make sure you mix it correctly). 50/50 i believe.

Top it up to nearer the top of the levels recorded on the coolant tank. The level may go above the top line when its hot as water expands when hot as well as when freezing. This is nothing to worry about as long at the levels are in the range when cold.

Let us know if it solves the issue. My money is on that it will.

Hirdmeister

ok - just to update.

Went to my local seat dealers who diagnosed the 3 beep flashing temp light issue as low coolant level, so he kindly topped it up for free.

Since then, the coolant level keeps dropping and thus the same lights and beeps repeats itself. I have been through almost a whole bottle of coolant which i bought from the dealers. I think the coolant fairies are pinching it as I am sure the levels shouldnt go down as much as they are and there are no visible signs of the car wetting itself and leaving puddles.

any advice - its starting to become a pain and tempted to get rid of the leon for a nice new shiney VXR.

andycupra

status subject to change
ok - just to update.

Went to my local seat dealers who diagnosed the 3 beep flashing temp light issue as low coolant level, so he kindly topped it up for free.

Since then, the coolant level keeps dropping and thus the same lights and beeps repeats itself. I have been through almost a whole bottle of coolant which i bought from the dealers. I think the coolant fairies are pinching it as I am sure the levels shouldnt go down as much as they are and there are no visible signs of the car wetting itself and leaving puddles.

any advice - its starting to become a pain and tempted to get rid of the leon for a nice new shiney VXR.

the coolant should never need toppping up really.
Is the top of the expansion tank done up tightly?
if so it must be leaking somewhere, or the headgasket has gone. - your oil will look a mess or you will be getting loads of smoke from the exhaust. neither of which you have reported, so i am 99% sure its a leak.
as its not dropping alll the coolant quickly it wont be leaving puddles.

Have a good look, you may need to get the under tray off and take a look at the bottom nearside of hte radiator. this is where the drain plug is for the coolant, its possible its leaking from there, its only got a simply o ring keeping it sealed..

Hirdmeister

the cars booked in on thursday at the dealers. still got warranty on the car, so we'll see what the problem is then.

its just frustrating and annoying when it beeps everytime the engine starts from cold.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise