overheating problem!!

cupra 1.8turbo

hi, my car has just started to over heat, ive changed the thermostat and done a head gasket test, been told its the water pump, the car seems to have a secondary water pump that runs for about 5-10 mins after the car is off, are these prone to breakin or shall i just change the pump?? thanks dale,

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
water pump has plastic impellor, which breaks on them.. usually just about ok on idle temp wise, but as soon as you drive it goes up. if so dont drive it.

fans working? checked fuses on top of the battery for corrosion?

wee_john 20vt

yellow ibiza 1.8 20vt
Jan 12, 2009
Falkirk, Central Scotland
water pump has plastic impellor, which breaks on them.. usually just about ok on idle temp wise, but as soon as you drive it goes up. if so dont drive it.

fans working? checked fuses on top of the battery for corrosion?

as he said i had this problem fuses looked fine but thot id just change them anyway and one of the 30amps on top of battery had melted on but wasnt really visible good luck :D

cupra 1.8turbo

car is now sorted, old stat was broken but still over heated when new 1 was installed, was about to change water pump but decided to install a header tank first and that sorted the problem, im assuming it was air locked or something and was struggling to shift the air lock, car is running sweet now tho, thanks for all your hints and tips,

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Wouldnt of been the waterpump mate i replaced it with the metel impellor version when the cambelt was done at about 35k ;)

Strange that a header tank sorted it, i never had a problem in the 6months i was running without one :confused:

Did you pop the cap off the inline filler neck and run it to try and remove any air?

I see it parked at the plumb centre the other day.

Glad its sorted tho! Hows it going otherwise?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members