Overheating!!!!

Dan_20vt

Altea Owner
Aug 1, 2004
Kent
Help!!!

On my journey to work today my temp gauge went up to 120 and the alarm sounded and light flashed. I pulled over onto the hard shoulder and checked for water etc and all seamed ok.

I then ran the engine for a bit and for some strange reason the engine temp returned to the normal 90'ish position within a couple of mins.

As I was only a couple of miles from work I decided to continue at low speed on the hard-shoulder. The temp moved around a little and again returned to 120 for a min so I knocked it out of gear and free wheeled and again the temp went to to just above 90.

I had been caught in the traffic for a little while (M20 is shite every day!) so I would expect the temp to rise a little but I've never had a problem before in two years.

Does this sound like a knackered thermostat, fan switch etc or do you think it might be something a little more serious?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dan

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
Doesn't have to be a stealer, also if you get it done ask for a brass impeller (i didn't have a choice) as the problem is that the plastic impeller slips or breaks, that how it's fine on tickover but soon as you increase the revs feck all happens, cause nothing is being pumped round the system. it's also worth getting your cambelt done at the same time.

Dan_20vt

Altea Owner
Aug 1, 2004
Kent
oh joy, just spent £300 on service etc, then £300 getting remote locking working again and now £200-400'ish on getting this sorted!!!!

honeyman

Pirates
Oct 20, 2004
Northampton
Depending on who you use it may not be that bad as I believe it's no more than a couple of hours work and the pumps about £30 pounds max.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
John L there is a subtle difference between the two issues and Dan 20t's issues are classic water pump expiry, with the water pump gone driving up to 60mph ish is fine (temps stay around normal) but I guess when the turbo starts heating things up the gauge shoots up to 120degC and the red light comes on.

Dan get the work done ASAP as the pump is only partly broken but a fully expired pump could be thousands.

From memory my car was circa £250 with new cambelt and pump etc (probably 4 hours of labour alone at £40-£45)

Dan_20vt

Altea Owner
Aug 1, 2004
Kent
Thanks for all your replies.

I was toying with getting the cam-belt done anyway, so I guess I should get it booked in today and talk the Mrs into letting me use her 1.4 Clio for a few days :whistle:

I will make sure I ask for the brass impellor rather than the plastic one.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Dan_20vt said:
Thanks for all your replies.

I was toying with getting the cam-belt done anyway, so I guess I should get it booked in today and talk the Mrs into letting me use her 1.4 Clio for a few days :whistle:

I will make sure I ask for the brass impellor rather than the plastic one.

You could buy the part yourself, sure these people did one with a metal impeller, web site isn't brilliant but I gave them a call and they were great

http://www.murraysdirect.co.uk/

LNeves

Orangina
Feb 7, 2005
Having the same problem, but cambelt was changed 1 month ago.
I reckon I just have to change the water pump, right ?

Dan_20vt

Altea Owner
Aug 1, 2004
Kent
Thank You

Just want to thank you all for your spot-on diagnosis.

As warned the impellor was split right through the middle!

I've now got my first engine upgrade :whistle:

:clap: :worship: :thumbup:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
LNeves said:

water pump is a cam belt service item now.
just done one on a mk4 golf...
it was running fine, but when removed the plastic impellor was cracked in 2 places just not slipped "yet"

German & Swedish brass impellor pump replaced it.

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
LNeves said:
The cam belt has to come off to change the pump, and we all know the potential for damage when belts are removed / replaced...

At the very least, I would be considering replacing the cam belt tensioner, but then that's the most expensive of the parts, so you could change the belt again to be on the safe side...

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.