Oversized TIP Questions

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I'm trying to find out if it's needed that's all, like you said 230 or so bhp on stage 2, a more "free flowing setup" which is about all the info you get and you get more like 250 bhp, but I've done a lot of research and my 2.75" maf will flow fine up to 300 bhp, so no need for a maf, everyone used to say 4 bar fpr is needed for stage 2, since then people have realised that a 3" maf and 4 bar fpr aren't needed on a k03s, as well as lcr injectors aren't needed. Makes me think an oversized tip wont be needed at this power level either.

I get what your saying, go bigger and you'll get better results.
But what if my silicone tip is good enough to flow say 270 BHP, and wont give any performance gains going oversized as the one I have wasn't becoming a restriction at this level of tune?

That's a waste of £135 right there.

As far as I was concerned, free flowing is a decent 3" decat/200 cell sports cat, 2.5" the rest, healthy dv and a proper front mount with free flowing 2.5" piping, to me a bigger tip that has the same outlet and inlet size isn't going to do much, especially when it's on the inlet side of the turbo, pre boost.
Do it and post the results man! Help the next guy down the road. Then people can see what is needed for this power level. I'm also doing a 500hp build but trying to only do what is necessary not what everyone else did to make a 800hp engine that only pumps 400.

So long story short do what you feel is necessary I will be watching closely :) I'm here if you have any questions brother.

Dont do 4bar fpr. Like ever. It's a bandaid modification not the right way to do it IMO.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Just something to think about, it's not how much can my tip flow to support X amount of HP. Like you said maybe yours is good to flow to 275. Yes that may be true, but how easily does it flow to that limit.

You have something much better than stock, just rock it and get a tune, see how it goes. Tell your tuner you might get a bigger tip in the future and then you can get a tweak to the tune for cheap.

Just fyi if you want an oversized tip and stay stock 70mm maf. Go with the SFS oversized part number Ah15/a

just for your records

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
Thanks, I understand. Better to have the oversized and probably make more power with less effort, than to not have one and maybe lose out on 10 BHP, or some extra power in a certain place. Just me being stindgy as I bought a normal sized upgrade lol.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Thanks, I understand. Better to have the oversized and probably make more power with less effort, than to not have one and maybe lose out on 10 BHP, or some extra power in a certain place. Just me being stindgy as I bought a normal sized upgrade lol.
Just rock it bro and be sure to post some numbers! Then maybe if you ever upgrade you can see a difference or not

Reactions: mty12345

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
I was hoping to get the best stage 2 setup I can to make the best power off the standard k03s, so I'll probably just get the oversized tip just for piece of mind, considering a map is like £400, and that's without extras and, you need this, and this is a problem, and we had to fixe that first, probably more, my car is in perfect mechanical condition but doesn't stop people finding a problem when it = more money haha. I guess if you could pay like £50-£100 for a tweek on your map it might be worth someones spare money to get a definitive answer, personally I'd rather go big to be safe and have it mapped once, because when it comes time to go bigger than stage 2, I'll be doing GT28 anyway and will need another list of mods including rods :D

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
When you say your getting a map.. do you mean some one has a map and going to upload it on to your ecu. I don't really believe in these as every car is different. For example you say a FMI a cheap chinese is different flow to airtec. Then different company silicon piping will flow different to each other. And so on and so on.
Your best of getting it mapped on a rolling road and I think the term is live mapped/mapping. This then is set up perfect. Well for that tuner. Then some one else can always pick faults.

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
I plan to take it to R-Tech for a proper stage 2 RR map, what I mean is, it's like £400 for an R-Tech stage 2, and they pretty much have you by the balls if they decide to say, your "blah blah sensor is a bit weak, we can fit one for you now at a cost of "blah blah" otherwise kiss your deposit goodbye as we wont risk mapping your car without charging you for this! I plan to do it properly, but I'm not stupid enough to think I can just go there with no fault codes and pay the £400, because like I said, they'll have me by the balls.

So I basically have to allow like £500-£600 just to be safe, and I'd rather not pay an extra £110+ for something I wont even need, hence why I started the topic and asked the question. I want to get the right kit and do it right, but I don't want to waste money on stuff I don't even need.

TBH I expected a simple "It makes more power all the time with an oversized tip" or "It's overkill unless your going hybrid mate, don't bother" but the only people who would be able to tell me this will be the people making and selling oversized tips, so it's counter productive to divulge such information lol

Last edited:

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
I have heard of badger 5 from being on this forum. Not heard of r tech. Well not the one you mention. There is an r tech near me but they are just styling.
I have spoken to AMD. They don't wanna map any thing that's not built by them.
I am in the next month or so gonna be on the phone to bill about my next steps for the engine.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I have heard of badger 5 from being on this forum. Not heard of r tech. Well not the one you mention. There is an r tech near me but they are just styling.
I have spoken to AMD. They don't wanna map any thing that's not built by them.
I am in the next month or so gonna be on the phone to bill about my next steps for the engine.
People have ther personal preferences. I like both for what they offer. But people have different experiences. Here is a link to Rtech

http://r-techperformance.co.uk/1-8t-20v-tuning-info-golf-audi-seat-skoda/1-8t-stage-2-tuning-guide/

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
Just because they seem reputable and have a rolling road, no other reason really, Badger 5 seems to be a mythical 1.8t guuru that whispers sweet nothings into an engine. Heard decent things about Revo as well.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Just because they seem reputable and have a rolling road, no other reason really, Badger 5 seems to be a mythical 1.8t guuru that whispers sweet nothings into an engine. Heard decent things about Revo as well.
Rtech and Badger5 have both done some great work, made a ton of power on the 1.8t platform. I'd be honored to have work done by either

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.