P0299 code but no apparent issues?!

martin0642

Apr 25, 2015
Hi all - so..... Ibiza 1.4 TDi Ecomotive (2010) -

The coil light started flashing on both legs of a return motorway trip a while ago, about the same point in the journey each time. I checked the fault codes with an OBDII reader (Torque Pro) and there was nothing.

Since then the light has stayed off over several journeys over the same motorway under the same conditions. Until today.......

Light came on again when I pulled into the third lane to overtake and stayed flashing until I got home. I checked the codes and got P0299 Turbo Underboost - no other codes.

I've looked through a bunch of threads on here and other forums/dark corners of the interwebs...and for most people this seems to result in the car going into limp mode.

However - mine hasn't gone into limp mode. It *does* seem a little sluggish and that's been the case for a while now...I mean..sluggish for a 1.4 ecomotive that is... but otherwise it seems to be driving just fine. I haven't noticed any strange noises when this happens (although my hearing isn't stellar and it's not exactly a quiet car in the first place). Basically - none of the other issues that I see reported with this code:

No limp mode
No strange whistling/sucking noises
No significant loss of power (although it does struggle a bit to accelerate)

It *does* however - happen when i'm already at 2500rpm (60-70mph) and then put my foot down to overtake.

I'll check the air hoses for leaks but can anyone suggest anything else to look for given the lack of other issues?

I'm thinking MAF sensor maybe? :blink:

Edit: I've also noticed people stating their MPG has gone down after getting this code...again...not a problem for me. As reported by the car (as opposed to Torque) I got sbout 65mpg on the motorway and 48 on an urban trip i just did. Seems pretty good to me really....

Weird car.......

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019
Hi all - so..... Ibiza 1.4 TDi Ecomotive (2010) -

The coil light started flashing on both legs of a return motorway trip a while ago, about the same point in the journey each time. I checked the fault codes with an OBDII reader (Torque Pro) and there was nothing.

Since then the light has stayed off over several journeys over the same motorway under the same conditions. Until today.......

Light came on again when I pulled into the third lane to overtake and stayed flashing until I got home. I checked the codes and got P0299 Turbo Underboost - no other codes.

I've looked through a bunch of threads on here and other forums/dark corners of the interwebs...and for most people this seems to result in the car going into limp mode.

However - mine hasn't gone into limp mode. It *does* seem a little sluggish and that's been the case for a while now...I mean..sluggish for a 1.4 ecomotive that is... but otherwise it seems to be driving just fine. I haven't noticed any strange noises when this happens (although my hearing isn't stellar and it's not exactly a quiet car in the first place). Basically - none of the other issues that I see reported with this code:

No limp mode
No strange whistling/sucking noises
No significant loss of power (although it does struggle a bit to accelerate)

It *does* however - happen when i'm already at 2500rpm (60-70mph) and then put my foot down to overtake.

I'll check the air hoses for leaks but can anyone suggest anything else to look for given the lack of other issues?

I'm thinking MAF sensor maybe? :blink:

Edit: I've also noticed people stating their MPG has gone down after getting this code...again...not a problem for me. As reported by the car (as opposed to Torque) I got sbout 65mpg on the motorway and 48 on an urban trip i just did. Seems pretty good to me really....

Weird car.......

Mar 4, 2019
I've had this same problem start with my ecomotive, did you ever make any inroads with what was going on here? Everything is pointing to the air intake of the turbo, but it's proving illusive at best.

All the symptoms are identical to yours which is intriguing. Any info if you found anything would be greatly received.