P10A4 intake air flap control actuator mechanical malfunction

• Thread starter Deleted member 98781
  • Start date

Deleted member 98781

HEllo everyone, im new to this site so not completely sure where the best place is to post this request so hope you can assist.

My car has recently flagged up this code twice now (P10A4) the car stutters when acceleraing and wont rev above 3000 rpm. Im told this could be the Lambda Sensors needing replacing but i obviously dont want to just start changing things to find it hasnt helped. The code actually tells me it is intake air flap control actuator mechanical malfunction.

Has anyone come across this issue with their Ibiza Cupra (i dont seem to hear the "whine" now on acceleration) and if so can you let me know what the solution was/is?
My car was 100% fine until it went into the dealer a few months ago for recall on gearbox check, they changed the oil, did a 32 mile "test drive" and when i got it back it was very unwell especially with a distinct vibration on tick over. This turned out to be a problem with cylinder 4 (no compression) the garage basically disclaimed all responsibility even though to this day i think someone flogged the living daylights out of it on their 32 mile "test drive" ended up costing me over £500 (30% of the bill)... ever since then my car has flagged up this code a couple of times. Im really hoping this is not going to cost another fortune especially as i always drive this car sensibly and never flog it.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me to solve this issue

Many thanks in advance

Deleted member 98781

Mmmm well 42 views so far and not one reply.... This is obviously a difficult question I'm asking I guess :(

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
P10A4 isn't in the Ross-Tech wiki which is my first port of call for help with fault codes.

Searching for fault code P10A4 gets me several VAG-related forum posts that indicate that the problem is related to a vacuum-operated flap in the air intake and that the fault sends you into limp mode, which agrees with what you report. The fix seems to be to replace the intake manifold, which seems a little drastic to me. There is also some discussion of carbon build up being a cause.

I'd have a look at the flap and actuator, see if there is any obvious fault or breakage, and try giving it a clean-up...

I'm not sure what this flap does but it must be critical to cause limp mode.

Deleted member 98781

Many thanks kebabwarrior81 and Muttley for your replies, from the info u have provided this is beginning to sound like it may end up as an expensive fix, Im hoping not obviously but will get my local mechanic to have a look as quite frankly I'm not sure where to start, the car is drivable but im also not sure what damage I may be doing while using it. If you come up with any other ideas I'd be very greatful, will keep everyone informed as to how I get on

Thanks again guys

Deleted member 98781

wow over 100 read my message now but many must not have come across this issue i guess :(

Deleted member 98781

Remove the throttle valve assembly, give it a thorough clean and refit, clear error code, hopefully sorted.:D

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Just had it looked at no sign of carbon build up error code cleared. However mechanic fears I may need to replace part eventually. Thoughts on this?

Deleted member 98781

Difficult to say for sure, mine had to be cleaned twice before the error codes went away, how many miles has your car done? Mine had done around 35,000 when the power issue started and the error appeared, limp mode is not nice! :shrug:

Deleted member 98781

I would get at least a second opinion first, I was told the same thing, but a clean was all it needed

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
I've used this guy for years he's pretty sound never felt robbed off him. He explained to me that it was not even any sign of dirt on it

Deleted member 98781

Oh well start saving lol, I think that part can go on many "VW" cars ... Diesels have more of a problem but hope u get it sorted mate, good luck

Deleted member 98781

Erm.... Well my last suggestion was to clean the original parts not replace them :whistle:.... Check compression in all 4 cylinders if your also experiencing misfires or limp mode keeps returning, it took me 3 attempts to sort the issue and 2 cleans before the code stopped appearing and the car was fixed

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Erm.... Well my last suggestion was to clean the original parts not replace them :whistle:.... Check compression in all 4 cylinders if your also experiencing misfires or limp mode keeps returning, it took me 3 attempts to sort the issue and 2 cleans before the code stopped appearing and the car was fixed

Tested old throttle body totally ****ed. Took to another garage with better diag equipment and he said 80% sure it's turbo control unit. He said in turn that would of causing the throttle body to break

Deleted member 98781

Well I'm no expert but not sure I would agree with the diagnosis. Did they check the error code? Cos that code does not relate to turbo issues, however, it's your car and your money so go for it :) sometimes a bit of trial and error to sort any of these stupid codes, but I know as far as mine was concerned it had nothing to do with the turbo

Chrisallman

Jul 15, 2015
Well I'm no expert but not sure I would agree with the diagnosis. Did they check the error code? Cos that code does not relate to turbo issues, however, it's your car and your money so go for it :) sometimes a bit of trial and error to sort any of these stupid codes, but I know as far as mine was concerned it had nothing to do with the turbo

Apparently some value that controls the accuator flap had gone and the manifold error code can some times hide other codes. Further investigation found that the throttle body was completely broke and needed replacing + work on the turbo control unit. Total bill £990 not a happy man :(