Pabs' Platinum Leon Cupra

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Hello again all.

I went off the boil with cars for a bit because I foolishly quit one job without securing my next :S Teach me for relying on verbal contracts, eh?! :D

Anyway.. Now I've sorted all my Christmas obligations out, it's time to think about getting myself a Leon again.

Now I notice in the readers gallery Pabs' Platinum Leon Cupra. What kind of Leon Cupra is this? It is the exact model I'm looking for. I feel adrift in a sea of Sport/Cupra confusion.

Am I right in saying this specific model is the 180BHP example? The same VAG lump as found in the 2004 Golf GTi Turbo? I hope so, because I almost paid £8,500 for a turbo Golf that was 180BHP but decided to shop around first.. that's when I realised my fond liking of Leons was a bit more deep-rooted than just liking them.. if that makes sense.

Regardless, I'd like to get the 180 model purely because I liked the pick-up and torque of the Golf, but prefer the Leon Cupras body.

So to locate the car in Pabs' Platinum Leon Cupra, what model should I be looking for and what is a reasonable price?

Kai

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
It is basically a Leon Cupra, which comes with the 180bhp 1.8T engine as fitted to numerous VAG cars. He has however done quite a fair bit to it. The basic body kit is the same but he has added smaller changes, the wheels/suspension are not std. Have a look at his website for the full list.

You can get cupras very reasonably these days and cupra Rs with the 210 or latter spec 225bhp engine are well down in price now as well.

Nov 28, 2006
Pre 2002 the the 180hp Leon was called the Cupra T. After that it was face lifted and called the FR. Still the same engine though.

Have a search to find more info. Pads has his own website ---> www.leoncupra.co.uk. Some of the guys on here now this info inside out. I'm sure one of them will be along anytime now :D

You should be able to pick up a nice motor for £8500.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Indeed, you can get a 52/53 reg cupra for that money, as said they called them "FR" in their later life as for the MK2 leons the R was dropped and the cupra is the range topper with the FR now the equivilent of the old cupra.

They will remap to about 210-220bhp and can be tweaked as far as your budget will allow! The cupras had more toy options that the R so spec may vary slightly from car to car, leather for example.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Excellent lands.

Thanks.

Pretty much the info I needed confirming. Just trying to find a nice example local, before I start scowering the country for a gem. Admiral have quoted me £800 F/C with 2 yrs NCB at 22. So I'm chuffed about that, at least. My XR2 was £1200, all mods declared!!

Thanks again :) I know roughly what it is I've been drooling over now! :D

Nov 28, 2006
I've just traded my old Cupra T for a Cupra R and I know that the dealer is selling my old one for £8000. It's an 02 in Black Magic, FSH with 46k on the clock. It was in really good condition. Gives you some kind of idea what to expect.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Great, thanks :) Nice example of prices.

My area seems a bit dry, according to my initial Autotrader.co.uk check. There are a multitude of Cupra 1.8T 20v. £4-6000. Any idea easily tunable to be like the 180BHP models? Also.. I assume the "Sport" models are 150bhp?

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
for info
i picke up my 2003 facelift Leon Cupra 180 last november for 8500 with 20k on the clock and remainder of warranty
search around and you will find a few good examples

try pistonheads.com/sales as well for adverts

Chris 16v

Nov 10, 2005
The golf you described originally would be a 150bhp - the only mk4 golf with 180 bhp was the anniversary model which fetches more money than that.

The Leons are a great buy at the moment, holding their value well when compared to alot of other hatches.

I bought my 2003 facelift Black Magic Leon Cupra with 21k on the clock for 8300 :) Its immaculate!!

Im also 22 - im with direct line, 3 years no claims and g/f on the policy for £740 - very reasonable for a group 16 car!

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
yep
mines around the same
23 yr old
2 years NCB, with all modifications declared
iirc its a group 17 car, thats what i was told when i switched the insurance from my gt-four which was the same insurance group

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
The golf you described originally would be a 150bhp - the only mk4 golf with 180 bhp was the anniversary model which fetches more money than that.

The Leons are a great buy at the moment, holding their value well when compared to alot of other hatches.

I bought my 2003 facelift Black Magic Leon Cupra with 21k on the clock for 8300 :) Its immaculate!!

Im also 22 - im with direct line, 3 years no claims and g/f on the policy for £740 - very reasonable for a group 16 car!

Yup. It was the anniversary.

The Golf GTi Turbo 180 was part-ex by a bloke at Ford Dovercourt where my g/f works (and I get discount), for a new Focus ST. My gf had the salesmen keeping an eye out for a recent turbo. No specific car, I was open to new ideas.

Anyway, along came a silver, 2004 Golf GTi 180BHP (which I'd had HPi done on) with all paperwork, previous owner turned out to be my g/fs family doctor, so I know the car had been treated well.

They offered me it for £8,500.. and were going to put it on the forecourt for £10,200 if I turned it down. Problem was, £8,500 seemed excessive for a car that could be easily matched, performance wise, by other VW group models.

So yes, it was cheap.. and it was 100% a 180BHP. It's the reason why I want the 180BHP Leon at least.

Deebo

Jan 25, 2004
Wednesbury
Visit site

Not entirely correct. You can also get a 180bhp 1.8T AUQ 6 speed GTI non Anniversary. The AUM 1.8T GTI maps to the same as the AUQ but has a weaker 5 speed box and smaller brakes.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
In addition to your comment, Deebo. This was a 6-speed box. Which I suppose is a given on the model. But yeh..

I regret not snapping the car up, now. At the time, £8,500 seemed a lot. But I've seen them go for nearer 10k since :< Argh..

I just need to remember the fact the handling is poor.

Deebo

Jan 25, 2004
Wednesbury
Visit site
There are not many of the 180 Gtis about. Think they were available between late 2002-2004.

Much prefer the styling of the Leon over the Golf, though I now drive a Bora Sport 150 TDI which imo looks better than the Golf. I've always had a soft spot for saloons.

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Yeah the Engine you want is the AUQ code as some early 2000 and 2001 cupra's had APP engines which were only K03 turbo's as apose to the K03s and non DBW, VVT etc.... Continent Cupra'a were known as the Topsport but have an identical spec to the cupra, I think they changed to FR badging in 2004, the 2003 model year cupra featured the sporty looking rounded bumpers and honeycombe mesh grills!

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
Not quite right Fidge. In UK it was still called the Leon Cupra 20VT during 2004 (mines a 54 plate) then it changed to FR for the first of the 05 model year. 2003 onwards i.e. Post facelift models, all have the double (lower and upper) honeycombe grill which I personally think looks better and more in your face than the LCR. All have the 180 bhp turbo engine, and very flexible it is too even with no mods. No need to rush there's quite a few good ones out there.

cuprablue

Nov 12, 2006
I assume the "Sport" models are 150bhp?

The Sport model has the same 180 Bhp engine as the Cupra. AFAIK the differences between Sport and Cupra are entirely in the level of equipment/options. I don't believe there are any performance differences between the two cars.

cuprablue

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.