Pad wear warning

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Does anyone know how urgent it is when you get the "check brake wear" indicator??

I had it come on earlier today, but then after I stopped the car and restarted later, it didn't come on. So I'm guessing it's only just hit the wear threshold - although I'd have thought being theoretically a safety message it would need resetting.

Pretty sure it will be front pads that it needs, as it was raised that it would need them "soon" at it's last service.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Pad wear sensors are pretty crap if you're on the wear limit I wouldn't hang about to long on replacing them especially if you want to reuse the discs.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Just check how much meat you have left on them? If you've been told they are needing replaced soon I wouldn't hang around either. Tyres and brakes... take no chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
I wasn't intending to keep running around on them for an age, just wondered how "urgent" it actually was, as I didn't know at the time when I'd be able to get them done. New pads and disks fitted today, so all sorted now.

The actual answer to my question appears to be that it wasn't that urgent at all. When they were taken apart, there's still around 15% material left on the worst side, so there's actually a good few miles.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
I wasn't intending to keep running around on them for an age, just wondered how "urgent" it actually was, as I didn't know at the time when I'd be able to get them done. New pads and disks fitted today, so all sorted now.

The actual answer to my question appears to be that it wasn't that urgent at all. When they were taken apart, there's still around 15% material left on the worst side, so there's actually a good few miles.

If the wear wasn't that bad why the need to replace the discs? :p

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
Because they were worn to the recommended minimum of 22mm.

It's funny how in one single thread you can be thought of as someone that's planning on running round with risky brakes, and also someone who is stupid enough to go to Kwik fit / replace stuff that doesn't need replacing. You've got to laugh.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow

It's funny how in one single thread you can be thought of as someone that's planning on running round with risky brakes, and also someone who is stupid enough to go to Kwik fit / replace stuff that doesn't need replacing. You've got to laugh.

You certainly have :lol:

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012

yep, and on a leon specific forum, getting advice from somebody who drives a ford focus..... :censored:

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.