paint colour

gubby

my 03 arosa tdi is a really light blue colour it almost looks white in the right light ,the sticker in the boot says LS5L does this sound like its the paint code and does anyone know the colour name ? i am looking to get some mixed up to touch up a couple of stone chips. cheers:)

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Thats your paint code :D The LS5 refers to the Azul shades of Seat and the L specifically to the type of azul. The L refers to it being canica so your paint colour is canica blue.

Last edited:

monious

SEAT-mania.cz
Mar 14, 2008
Czech rep.
www.seat-klub.cz
Boo, you just saved my sanity. i was having a heart attack after finding out that the white car I just bought, has different - blue - color in papers. who could've guessed :D
thank you!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Just spotted this, and thought I'd add in the few bits I've learned from prolonged study of paint codes :) Stop me if I get boring...

S5L is indeed Azul canica, which is Spanish for Marble blue. The preceding L in the paint code (L S5L) is part of the VAG code system and stands for Lackierung, which is German for "paintwork", more or less.

Of the three characters in the actual paint code, there is some meaning for each of them: the initial letter used to mean which brand the colour applied to, where S = Seat, Y or Z = Audi and so on. The second character, usually a number, indicated the colour group according to the RAL system:

1=beige/yellow
2=orange
3=red
4=violet
5=blue
6=green
7=grey
8=brown
9=white/black

And the last letter is just a code to differentiate between all the different blue/red/greens etc.

Of course, with any semi-meaningful system such as this, they ran out of codes a while ago, and the initial letter is not a very good guide to brand any more.

Then there are codes like 041 Black or 94E Oak Green which are left over from the previous code system...

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.