Paint flaking off alloy wheels

F8 CMR

Sep 6, 2009
South Shields
i bought my car in october of last year and had the wheels refurbished by seat as part of the deal before i got it, i went out this morning to find the paint is starting to flake of one of the wheels! will this be covered under my warranty or will i have to get them done my self?
DSC01880.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC01881.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

terrymcg

Apr 27, 2007
I have just refurbed mine myself, it really is so simple and easy, and you get a decent un rushed job!

Cupra Jim

Nov 18, 2009
Coventry
Not a chance that your wheels will be covered how old's your car, as alloys are one covered for 12months and from your pictures they will say that you have curbed your wheels and then want rob you blind to refurb them...

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
I had one of mine refurbed a couple of months ago and the same has happened to me.

To be honest the paint used on mine mustn't have been very good at bonding to the wheel surface.

The garage might be able to do something to rectify your problem but it might just be another refurb and the same thing could keep happening time after time.

A powdercoated finish should be more hard wearing might be worth having a word with SEM in Southwick, Sunderland

FR_Flavoured

Out of interest, do you JET WASH your car / wheels ?

As the power of modern jet washes can wear down the lacquer on the surface of the wheel, then when water manages to get in, its not good! This happened to me a while back, was actually a NEW set of alloys I purchased, where that happened. And as the Alloys were black, the issue looked pretty bad, but they wouldnt take them back by then!

All the best, hope SEAT are on your side. :)

b9rgo1234

Oct 18, 2008
If they have been refurbished the dealer will probably fob you off, but its worth going in and giving it a try

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
Why not see if the Seat dealer will contribute to the cost of a powder coated finish on the wheels?

SEM are only 2 minutes away from Alexandra Bridge Seat so might be worth a thought?

F8 CMR

Sep 6, 2009
South Shields
Out of interest, do you JET WASH your car / wheels ?

As the power of modern jet washes can wear down the lacquer on the surface of the wheel, then when water manages to get in, its not good! This happened to me a while back, was actually a NEW set of alloys I purchased, where that happened. And as the Alloys were black, the issue looked pretty bad, but they wouldnt take them back by then!

All the best, hope SEAT are on your side. :)

occasionaly i do jet wash the car maybe 1 in 10 times that i can be bothered to get the jetwash out! apart from that i normally just use a house with some alloy wheels cleaner and a sponge:D

Why not see if the Seat dealer will contribute to the cost of a powder coated finish on the wheels?

SEM are only 2 minutes away from Alexandra Bridge Seat so might be worth a thought?

i will give SEM a try i think i no where they are, in an industrial estate on the top near the big college?
im heading up north on friday so have a feeling it might have to wait for a week or so unless i get a chnace to pop out the office:)

ive been thinking over the past few days of if i do need to refurb them myself to maye get them done gloss black or anthracite does any one have any pictures of these colour wheels on car?

Cal

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
occasionaly i do jet wash the car maybe 1 in 10 times that i can be bothered to get the jetwash out! apart from that i normally just use a house with some alloy wheels cleaner and a sponge:D

If you don't mind me asking what have you been using as wheel cleaner?

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
im using auto glym clean wheels most of the time.

I'm sure this is acid based which isn't the best to use on wheels and can damage the clearcoat

On the three perfect wheels on my FR and on my previous Type R I've used non-acid wheel cleaner and had no problems.

I'm currently using Autobrite very Cherry wheel cleaner which can be used at dilutions up to 10:1 and is very effective at removing dirt from the wheel.

F8 CMR

Sep 6, 2009
South Shields
I'm sure this is acid based which isn't the best to use on wheels and can damage the clearcoat

On the three perfect wheels on my FR and on my previous Type R I've used non-acid wheel cleaner and had no problems.

I'm currently using Autobrite very Cherry wheel cleaner which can be used at dilutions up to 10:1 and is very effective at removing dirt from the wheel.

thanks Ian il give that stuff ago im just abotu otu of clean wheels anyway, where do you buy that stuff from?

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
I now have corrosion on my alloys too. Always used to use hosepipe but recently started just using a watercan and I'm sure it is that what has done them, with it not washing all the autogylm clean wheels off..........

Question on the very cherry stuff...do you make it up each time or just make up a load and leave it in a spray bottle?

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.