Painted Brake Calipers

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
Could some one post a step by step guide on how to take off the calipers and pads? and any pitfalls to watch out for?

Would like to paint mine asap :) move house soon and the driveway is on a slope, no good for jacking up the car :(

gazjones

X20HER said:
yeah like it, i was going to buy some seat vinyls of ebay for callipers, but it looks like the fr alloys would cover it up!
yes with yours being smaller calpiers they look a bit lost behind the bigger wheels and the spokes cover up a large part of my calpier so yours will virtually be invisible when being behind a spoke of the wheel

gazjones

personally i think they look a bit cheap and tacky and they have to be put in a funny position on the calipers as there is no really good flat space like in the brembos or cupra calipers!

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
FR-RUSH said:
Could some one post a step by step guide on how to take off the calipers and pads? and any pitfalls to watch out for?

Would like to paint mine asap :) move house soon and the driveway is on a slope, no good for jacking up the car :(

1 Jack up car and put on axle stands
2 Remove wheel
3 Pop bonnet and remove lid from brake fluid resevoir
4 On the back of the Brake caliper there are 2 x 12mm bolts (1 top, 1 bottom) remove these.
5 Slightly pull the caliper towards you in order to compress the piston and give a wee bit of space between the pad and disk
6 Remove caliper by pulling/wigggling it towards the front of the car
7 Remove metal plate thing from piston
8 Remove brake pads by pulling/wiggling out sideways

Refitting is the reverse!

gazjones

yes good guide there mate will be helpfull to people wanting to remove the calipers of doing the painting?

FR-RUSH

IBIZA FR TDI BLACK MAGIC
Dec 3, 2005
Islington
Cheers for that, ill prb finnish mine off by taking them off to get to the bits i couldnt reach with them on the car.

paint says you have to leave for 6 weeks before repainting though :(

aldibal

to be honest i really think that the red on the front and the back in black, planning to do mines as soon as its fixed(how much of a b****d are kerbs!) well done bjm i think that urs look mint

mr_ice_uk

I had a go at this today. Took a wheel off, then had to hunt for a 7mm allen key to take the bolts out with. Had every other size but 7mm! Eventually found a 7mm screwdriver bit, but couldn't find a ratchet socket to take the bit, and a screwdriver wasn't shifting anything, so gave up. :doh:

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
mr_ice_uk said:
I had a go at this today. Took a wheel off, then had to hunt for a 7mm allen key to take the bolts out with. Had every other size but 7mm! Eventually found a 7mm screwdriver bit, but couldn't find a ratchet socket to take the bit, and a screwdriver wasn't shifting anything, so gave up. :doh:

Do you Drive a Mk3 TDi or A Mk4 mate? I remember my Mk3 Ibiza having the caliper bolts which needed an allen key to remove, Mk4 is definately a hexagonal bolt on the FR though, thought the TDi sport would have the same set up.

Hope u get them off!

Cheers.

mr_ice_uk

Mk4 TdDi Sport, got it at the end of July 2005. As said above, it can be done with them on, but I want to give them a good clean before painting them as there's a years worth of dirt and brake dust on them

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
Yeah mate, it was me who started this thread. My point is that my Brake calipers are held on by hexagonal bolts rather than allen bolts. I would think yours would have the same calipers?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise