Painting mirror caps and front bumper lips?

twitterers

Jul 16, 2011
Whats step do I follow for painting the front lip?

Do you paint straight over the old color (red) or do you have sand down, prime, basecoat and then laquer?

or can you just sand, base coat (black) and then laquer?

Also for the mirror caps which are silver and I want to change to gloss black?

twitterers

Jul 16, 2011
I thought it would be cheaper to buy a gloss black aerosol and clear lacquer and do it?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
When I got mine done he flatted it back repairing stone chips then primed then a few coats of black then lacquered.
As I say I got mine done as a trade I done something for him so never cost me anything.
If you were paying it could be as much as £100 but then I was quoted £60 to wrap it and it was a mess so I got them to pull it off and didn't pay.
The problem they had when wrapping it was I could see yellow paint between the wrap and the grill.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I thought it would be cheaper to buy a gloss black aerosol and clear lacquer and do it?

If you were going to do it that way scotchbrite the part to be painted to give the paint something to stick to. Also wash it down with white spirit to ensure all polish etc is removed.

twitterers

Jul 16, 2011
Kev did he sand all the old paint away?

Do you think I could get away with sanding down a bit and then applying a few basecoats and then clear lacquer?

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
He didn't sand it away just used a scotchbrite (red pad) to take the shine off which gives a key for the new paint to stick to.
I'd use something like that to take the top coat off then prime it. Then give it a couple of good costs of black then lacquer it twice.
Probably easier said than done the guy that done mine paints cars for a living and was done at his work.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I've gloss-blacked two sets of mirrors now and it's a pain.

You have to make sure your spray cans are of good quality.
I took my silver caps down to plastic with a low grit sandpaper. Cleaned thoroughly, 2 coats of grey base coat.
Let dry thoroughly. Sandpaper with 1500 grit sandpaper. Clean.

First coat of black. Dry. 1500 grit sandpaper. Second coat black.
First coat lacquer, 1500 sand, 2nd lacquer layer. Clean and polish.

The sanding for me was mostly to fix drips/splashing caused by crap spray cans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidS

Oct 17, 2012
Generally what would be concidered a good price for a bodyshop/Stealer to paint Pre FL (teardrop) mirrior covers Brilliant Silver?

Aok82

Aug 18, 2012
Finland, Uudenmaanlääni
Wrapping is an option but it is difficult to make. I wrapped mine with 3M Carbonfiber look Di-noc.
Painting is really much easier. You dont have to sand the bottom. Just make sure it is clean, so wipe it good with paintstripper or something and it is good.
Painting takes practice also but its really not that difficult just need some patience also. Good Luck!

twitterers

Jul 16, 2011
thanks guys....i wanted to do the caps in gloss black, but can i use the same aerosol for the top and lower grill area and lips?

Apr 13, 2011
hull
When painting make sure paint can is warm and that the parts u are painting are warm also because if the temps are too cold it could react or even frost.

To paint any thing
Step one flat off what u want to paint with 2000 grit wet and dry

Step two wash item or area with fairy up liquid(this is very good for removing old polish and grease etc) and dry.

Step three wash and wipe down with white spirt.

Step four prime

Step five paint with color 3 coats

Step six flat paint 2000 grit wet and dry wet

Step seven clean again

Step eight lacquer 3 coats

Step nine wait 2 day and polish and buff up

Step ten good job well done

It's a lot harder to paint people don't relise what is needed to get a good finish wraping is the cheeper way to go but I'd paint over wrap my self

Good luck :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.