Painting some interior parts

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
Hello all, I'm new here and I wanted some advice on a potential project. :)

I wanted to paint the central console, the handbrake surround and the dashboard in glossy black, kind of like the black magic paint of the exterior, has anybody done it?
What kind of paint should I use?

I read on an Italian forum that you're supposed to remove all the parts and sand them thoroughly before applying any paint, is it true? Can't I just paint over them as they are?

Thanks for any suggestions! :happy:

BKR

TorqueDefinesIntelligence
Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby
welcome to the site

i did it on my last car and painting straight onto the surface was a disaster.
so i sanded it all off to start again and dis a much better job of it, i think it is due down to some surface protection on the plastic. i would also recomend taking the parts out of the car yes, as ur gunna make a lot of mess inside if u do. the centre console isnt very hard to take out.

as for paint u can get interior paint or you could just go for the exterior paint you can get both from places like halfrauds. (when you say what type of paint i hope you dont mean spray or tin), if you do go for spray as you get a much nicer finish

james.l

GT3071r LCR
Mar 18, 2008
My House
www.vagforum.co.uk
you need to rough up the surface before anything is applied otherwise it will not stick.

Best is to rough up with some medium grade sandpaper, 800grit something like that, and then paint with a plastic activator (or primer) a couple of coats of this should be enough. Leave for 24 hours to dry in a room temperature climate. Then paint with the colour of your choice, leave to dry between coats once again. Then apply a couple of coats of laquer leaving to dry in between, spray the aerosol from about 30cm away from the piece to give good coverage and no drip marks.

Hope this helps.

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
Thanks for all the info guys! :happy:

That sounds like a lot of work though, and I do not have a place to do it at the moment, unless I want to park the car outside a big shopping mall or supermarket and do it there... :(

Is there any garage/tuningshop near Croydon that does this kind of paint job? Say in a 30 miles radius or so? :D

BKR

Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby
needless to say there will be plenty of places in london area to do that, you just need to look

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
I've tried searching on Google, but if I could get a name and address from someone who has already done some work with them I'd be happier. I don't want to leave my beloved car in the hands of just about anyone, in case I can't do the job myself. :blink:

BKR

Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby
talk to people from around you and find a decent place by word of mouth, thats all i can recomend from up north

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
Ok, I got the primer, the glossy black, the laquer.

The black paint is an acrylic paint, will it do the job?

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
You might be better off buying a high build primer if its parts that are going to be handled alot. Make sure you work in a warm but, well ventilated area. Oh and show us the results. :D

Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
With the plastic having a textured effect i would sand all that away - firstly with some medium grade wet and dry then some very fine wet and dry to leave a smooth area to paint on - not rough.

Apply 2-3 layers of primer wet sanding between coats to keep it smooth.
2-3 coats of paint again you can wet sand between coat to keep smooth
2-3 coats of clear laquer no sanding needed at this stage
Leave to harden and fit.

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
^ Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm writing it all down so keep it coming!

cupra.al, I called my roommate's aunt who has some space in front of her house and she agreed I can do it there. I can't believe it, the things I'll do to work on my car. Ridiculous. :happy:

R1ch85

1/4mile - 13.935 @ 100.54
Nov 9, 2006
Bristol
I wouldnt have thought a gloss black would do you much good in the summer.. the glare off it would be ridiculous. I'm sure it'll look good when you're not going anywhere though lol :D

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
Apply 2-3 layers of primer wet sanding between coats to keep it smooth.
2-3 coats of paint again you can wet sand between coat to keep smooth
2-3 coats of clear laquer no sanding needed at this stage
Leave to harden and fit.
I'm sorry for this stupid question, but: if I sand between one layer and the other, won't I be taking away the very layer I just sprayed on? :think:

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
^ Ok, thanks. :)

I was told I should use 800grit by Ibiza Warrior, what kind should I use in-between layers instead?

I'm planning a trip to a B&Q tomorrow, so I might as well have the shopping list ready. :D

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
Will do. :)

Here's a pic I posted in another thread as to how I want the result to look, I think it looks pretty good.

console-centrale.jpg

I don't have such a flashy stereo though, I got the Xplode and no CD holder ( I -think- it's a CD holder in the pic...), just a hole that I use for small objects underneath it.

MargheD

I am who I am
Feb 25, 2009
Croydon
^ I think so too! I'd rather keep my CDs somewhere else!

If I had the money I'd put in one of those car computers that have everything: stereo, radio, sat-nav, DVD player... but now I've booked for a coilover and new brakes and brake pads in a couple of weeks, so I better stick to that! :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.