Panel gaps on new cars

richw

Dec 9, 2018
When I had a Clio 197 there was a known issue with the doors being out slightly - they were French and thus accepted!

I've just brought a 68 plate Cupra (It's an early MY19 as it has silver badges) and drove it back today, when I got home I just went out to take a look at it and noticed on the drivers side the bonnet doesn't quite meet the A-Pillar - it's like it's been slightly squashed on the corner - passengers side looks fine. It's ever so slight that unless you look at it from the right angle you won't see it.

Do things like this happen from the factory or if something more serious has happened.

I'm happy to get some photos in the morning.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Now a days things like that don't leave the factory from seeing things on you tube at quality control its someone's job to go round with a tool measuring panel gaps.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I think this is a thing with all cars these days. When I had my FR+, the rear bumper panels were out of line on one side. On the Cupra it's the front wing. I don't think anythings happened to it. Since noticing these things, I've looked at loads of other cars and see it all the time. But yeah, throw up a picture so we can take a look.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The first time I drove my Leon after delivery there was a whistle from the drivers door frame not aligned with the roof. Bent the top of the door in by 5mm and no more whistle - but not something I've ever had on a new VW.

richw

Dec 9, 2018
I think I'm just being super sensitive and looking in the daylight it doesn't look that bad. The picture isn't the best and it's started raining again!

I can feel the drivers door VERY slightly out at the middle of it too.

Attachments

• IMGP9311_sm.jpg
    IMGP9311_sm.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMGP9312_sm.jpg
    IMGP9312_sm.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 122

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Three out of four brand new VW’s I’ve owned have had misaligned panels when I took delivery;
  • First one; misaligned rear nearside door
  • Second one; uneven width panel gaps between (i) tailgate and rear quarter panels and (ii) bonnet with front wings
  • Third one; uneven width panel gaps between bonnet and front wings.
It’s possible all three cars may have been damaged in transit from the factory and repaired before I took delivery (apparently, it happens quite often), but I doubt all three were.

@richw; If you’re unhappy with it, take it back to the dealer for them to adjust. From your first picture, I think I could live with that - my misaligned panels were much worse than yours is.

Last edited:

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Not a panel gap issue as such, but this caught my eye the first time I saw SWMBO's Leon at the dealership and it has annoyed me ever since! I might be overly picky, but it just doesn't look right somehow. Apologies for the crappy phone camera pic.
46812564661_d6b45fd6d5_b.jpg

richw

Dec 9, 2018
Thanks @SRGTD

It amazes me that the VAG group sink £50 billion into the MQB platform yet can't produce near prefect panel gaps!

@Seriously? Seeing that makes me wonder if Seat aren't so great in making bonnets!