Panel Paint flake

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
No pictures currently will update later but my question is, has anyone experienced paint rub/flake where two panels meet?

On the 45 degree line that separates the rear bumper and body panel where the fuel flap sits, i have a 1>1.5cm flake of paint that has come off. Its down to bare material and goes, as far as i can tell, completely round towards the internal side of the bumper. It starts from about 3mm from the external edge.

I had read previously of MK7 Golfs doing the same on front bumpers and VW warrantied it, but unsure of how to approach SEAT? If someone with a similar problem has had a fix, please let me know!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Would be interested to see pictures if you could post some up.

Reading your post, it’s the paint on the metal quarter panel where the paint is flaking off where it meets the bumper, rather than paint flaking off the plastic bumper.

Normally, if paint is flaking off a metal panel of a car - especially a new car - it’s usually an indication of a repair and the panel may not have been correctly prepared prior to being repainted. With your car being a MY19 car, I’m assuming you are the first owner and know it’s history, so you would know if it’s had any body / paint repairs during your ownership.

It’s possible that damage could have occurred to the edge of the quarter panel where the paint’s flaking when the bumper was fitted to the car or it could have suffered damage in transit from the factory when it was new (fairly common apparently), and was repaired prior to you taking delivery. Are there any tell tale signs of paintwork repairs - difference in paint shade or finish, ‘hard’ edges from masking up, or overspray onto adjoining panels? if you know someone with a paint depth gauge, you could get them to measure the thickness of paint on the rear quarter panel and surrounding panels to see if there’s a difference in paint thickness between the rear quarter panel and the doors / tailgate.

If there are no signs of repair, then rectification should certainly be covered under warranty. If you’re aware of it having been repaired, and repairs were carried out by Seat or a Seat approved repairer, then putting it right should also be done at no cost to you.

Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
@SRGTD

Originally I did think a repair, but from inspecting it as well as I can it seems more to be a defect.

Its a whole piece right down to bare surface which i don't presume a smart repair type fix would do, they would roughen up and apply a new coat? From my experience any way!

Also, the panel right up to the area still has 'orange peel' so hasn't been buffed down, as a scratch I've had repaired does on my drivers side door, that panel is as smooth as a mirror!

I'll get some pics over when I leave the office.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
As you can see, seems odd?
CB8D778F-882B-4F7E-A6DB-57962F3D40B5.jpeg

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks for posting the picture.

It might be a reflection of the light, but along the very edge of the panel join on the metal quarter panel (metal 1/4 panel at the top and bumper at the bottom in the picture), there’s what appears to be a very thin white line - its most noticeable either side of the area where the lacquer has come away. If it's not a reflection of the light, it could be dirt, polish/wax residue, or more worrying, it might be the beginning of the lacquer coat beginning to lift. If it is the lacquer coat, then you’ll probably be able to feel it if you run the edge of a fingernail along the rear quarter panel side of the panel join.

I had a car in the 1990’s that I discovered had been repaired - not particularly well. On that car, the lacquer coat began to come away on the edge of one of the repainted panels and I put it down to poor prep prior to repainting or poor drying conditions after repainting.

If your car did have paintwork after leaving the factory and before you took delivery, I’d expect it to be recorded somewhere against your car - either on a central Seat database or at the supplying dealers.

Reactions: bgb

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
The white is wax and road salt. The black car curse unfortunately!

The raw edges I can see from the break don’t seem to be lifting any further, but I don’t want to provoke it with a fingernail!

I think I’ll take it to a dealer and get them to try and tell me it’s obviously my fault...

cheers for the input!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.