Parking sensors (MY19)

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
Don’t suppose any of you have a MY19 Ibiza (FR / FR Sport) with front parking sensors? How does it work?

Any info on sensors would be useful - I’ve spec’ed rear but unsure whether to have fronts dealer fitted?

Cheers.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Don’t suppose any of you have a MY19 Ibiza (FR / FR Sport) with front parking sensors? How does it work?

Any info on sensors would be useful - I’ve spec’ed rear but unsure whether to have fronts dealer fitted?

Cheers.

I don’t think the type of car matters. Front parking sensors operate exactly the same as rear sensors only when going forward. They show how close you are to obstructions in front via the Park Pilot exactly the same as the rear.

Never heard of anyone getting dealer fitted front sensors but they should operate the same as factory fitted (but may look aftermarket as they probably will not be colour coded to the car).

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You might find that SEAT only provide an aftermarket solution for that upgrade, and it used to be supplied by Cobra but now Vodaphone have bought that part of the business, if they fit the correct ones, they will look identical to the factory fitted ones, but yes will need painted to match before fitting unless they now sell them in a few colours to almost match the body colour. If you get them fitted they will operate independent of the Park Pilot system so will either only have a sounder or a display panel.

Now, what I did for my 2011 Audi S4 was to buy in cables and parts etc all apart from the cables was VW Group proper parts, and so I ended up fitting them to the front bumper and changing the car's coding to get them integrated so that they ended up just the same as factory fitted.

There are various companies out that provide upgrade kits but maybe it is a bit early yet for these latest Ibizas and Polos etc, have a look on the Kufatec website to see if they do provide a solution yet, and maybe email them to see if they plan to do this soon. Remember, if you can not do all the donkey work yourself, this upgrade will cost quite an eye watering lump of money - which is where the aftermarket Vodaphone solution kicks in.

Edit:-if there is still time to add that to your new car during factory build, I'd do that now as it will cost a lot less than fitting it at the dealership - and the dealership will only, due to huge labour costs only offer you the aftermarket version.

Last edited:

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
I don’t think the type of car matters. Front parking sensors operate exactly the same as rear sensors only when going forward. They show how close you are to obstructions in front via the Park Pilot exactly the same as the rear.

Never heard of anyone getting dealer fitted front sensors but they should operate the same as factory fitted (but may look aftermarket as they probably will not be colour coded to the car).

The dealership fitted ones don’t show on the display so are a different system to the rears. In the ideal world I wanted them within the same system.

You might find that SEAT only provide an aftermarket solution for that upgrade, and it used to be supplied by Cobra but now Vodaphone have bought that part of the business, if they fit the correct ones, they will look identical to the factory fitted ones, but yes will need painted to match before fitting unless they now sell them in a few colours to almost match the body colour. If you get them fitted they will operate independent of the Park Pilot system so will either only have a sounder or a display panel.

Now, what I did for my 2011 Audi S4 was to buy in cables and parts etc all apart from the cables was VW Group proper parts, and so I ended up fitting the to the front bumper and changing the car's coding to get them integrated so that they ended up just the same as factory fitted.

There are various companies out that provide upgrade kits but maybe it is a bit early yet for these latest Ibizas and Polos etc, have a look on the Kufatec website to see if they do provide a solution yet, and maybe email them to see if they plan to do this soon. Remember, if you can not do all the donkey work yourself, this upgrade will cost quite an eye watering lump of money - which is where the aftermarket Vodaphone solution kicks in.

Edit:-if there is still time to add that to your new car during factory build, I'd do that now as it will cost a lot less than fitting it at the dealership - and the dealership will only, due to huge labour costs only offer you the aftermarket version.
I’d seen in the accessories brochure that it mentioned front sensors and rear at an additional cost (as expected) but when I enquired, the dealership said rears are factory and fronts are dealership? So I assume you can’t have it within the same system from factory?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Hmmm?

My Toledo has factory front and rear parking sensors which all display on the dash.

My Ibiza has dealer fit ones which don't.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have never spec'd up a new factory build Ibiza, but if I did and I was told that you just can't order front sensors from factory, I'd be a lot less than pleased, someone is being an idiot, either your sales person or SEAT UK not allowing that option.

Now, what I would expect to be available, depending on trim level, is, either fitted or optional fitted at factory rear sensors, and fitted or optional fitted at factory front and rear parking sensors that, as said above display on your MMI screen.

Edit:- Front assist is shown as standard, is that not just SEAT speak for front parking sensors? If so why is your sales person saying that dealer fit sensors are the only way to sort this?

Last edited:

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
I have never spec'd up a new factory build Ibiza, but if I did and I was told that you just can't order front sensors from factory, I'd be a lot less than pleased, someone is being an idiot, either your sales person or SEAT UK not allowing that option.

Now, what I would expect to be available, depending on trim level, is, either fitted or optional fitted at factory rear sensors, and fitted or optional fitted at factory front and rear parking sensors that, as said above display on your MMI screen.

Edit:- Front assist is shown as standard, is that not just SEAT speak for front parking sensors? If so why is your sales person saying that dealer fit sensors are the only way to sort this?

I think front assist is just the radar or camera thing that stops a accident happening below a certain speed.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
That’s big money

Probably just stick with factory Rears as with me current car. Not crashed into owt yet without the front sensors so hopefully won’t with the Ibiza!

Thanks for the replies guys

alpineSi

Oct 6, 2018
Nottingham
To be honest you might not be missing much, they all drive me mad. I love the rear-view camera but underground car parks here are bloody tight and the sensors are way too sensitive to navigate them so I get panicky screeching sounds from half a foot away. I know you can mute them but it kind of defeats the purpose!

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
To be honest you might not be missing much, they all drive me mad. I love the rear-view camera but underground car parks here are bloody tight and the sensors are way too sensitive to navigate them so I get panicky screeching sounds from half a foot away. I know you can mute them but it kind of defeats the purpose!

We can’t even have a rear view camera as an optional extra! There ain’t much to spec to be honest now!!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I was/am taking a slightly different view of things here, my wife has a 2015 Polo SEL so it has front/rear parking sensors, so as we tend to use that car 90% of the time round about home, I am quite used to having a car with parking sensors at the front and rear - so if had a brain fart while out in my car, I could quite easily end up with front bumper damage, so I wanted to avoid that as with an Audi S4 needing a new bumper cover and painting would cost BIG money. Now, if my wife's car did not have parking sensors I would not have bothered, as an aside, prior to fitting font sensors, with that version/age of parking controller, you don't get OPS without fitting front sensors. I discovered soon enough after fitting them that when approaching a solid object slowing down from normal driving speed, the front sensors don't get enabled automatically, they will when starting off from being stationary - what it turns out is, older versions of these controllers are only enabled at certain times, the newer versions are always enabled but their warnings are inhibited when moving at over a certain speed - so something I need to remember!

alpineSi

Oct 6, 2018
Nottingham
We can’t even have a rear view camera as an optional extra! There ain’t much to spec to be honest now!!
I guess you have to go up a trim level. If you haven't seen it elsewhere, manufacturers seem to have culled a lot of the option shopping list thanks to the new emissions standards. You can understand that now every permutation of a car has to be tested before it can be sold, it's easier to keep things simple - imagine how long it would take to get a new car if they had to test them all individually before delivery!

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I guess you have to go up a trim level. If you haven't seen it elsewhere, manufacturers seem to have culled a lot of the option shopping list thanks to the new emissions standards. You can understand that now every permutation of a car has to be tested before it can be sold, it's easier to keep things simple - imagine how long it would take to get a new car if they had to test them all individually before delivery!

You can't go up a trim level on a FR. There is no way to get front sensors/camera/keyless entry etc. any more on the FR.

Glad I got my 2018 FR when I did as I fully loaded mine with almost all the extras.

alpineSi

Oct 6, 2018
Nottingham
You can't go up a trim level on a FR. There is no way to get front sensors/camera/keyless entry etc. any more on the FR.

Glad I got my 2018 FR when I did as I fully loaded mine with almost all the extras.

Oh ok. Here they have the FR but then also the FR Plus. Also various options, so our 2018 with all the toys is called an FR EcoPlus.

I just loaded the Spanish configuration tool out of curiosity and for MY19 you can add the camera as part of the Vision Plus Pack for 530€ (this also includes the Front and rear sensors (separately 350€, rear only 250€).
Different markets I know, but all built in the same place so weird if UK won't allow it.

Jonathan Bassett

Oct 18, 2018
Oh ok. Here they have the FR but then also the FR Plus. Also various options, so our 2018 with all the toys is called an FR EcoPlus.

I just loaded the Spanish configuration tool out of curiosity and for MY19 you can add the camera as part of the Vision Plus Pack for 530€ (this also includes the Front and rear sensors (separately 350€, rear only 250€).
Different markets I know, but all built in the same place so weird if UK won't allow it.

Yeah, we have the FR and FR Sport, i’d Chosen the FR Sport which had climate control, 18” alloys and digital cockpit (£1k more than the FR Trim)
Wish we had the option for vision plus pack!

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Wish we had the option for vision plus pack!

Vision plus pack and Keyless entry are must have options on an FR for me. I wouldn't buy another one without them, I use the camera all the time. For my next car guess I will have to go Polo GTI or something.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Vision plus pack and Keyless entry are must have options on an FR for me. I wouldn't buy another one without them, I use the camera all the time. For my next car guess I will have to go Polo GTI or something.

My Leon FR 150 2016 had the rear camera but my Cupra doesn’t. I miss it but to be honest it just makes me reverse with more care.

alpineSi

Oct 6, 2018
Nottingham
Just looked at the seat UK accessories list, the only car with rear camera as an option is the Ateca! I'm assuming it's a limited time thing as they try to get the basic variants through WLTP certification first. It would be insane to deny customers a sought-after extra that must also generate an easy profit.

Also shocked me to see 'new ibiza starting from £15k' - that's 17k€ in our money but here they start at 12k€ / £10k. Seems to be a premium model in the UK.

Reactions: camelspyyder

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes, alpineSI and now that you have mentioned the 350Euro for front and rear parking sensors and 250Euros for rear only, it does make the OP needing to spend £550 for just the parts to retro fit that a huge cost - so that is where the dealer fit cheaper Vodaphone Automotive front sensors comes into its own. That £550 could easily turn into being £1000 if the OP can not refit these parts themselves.

In the past I have personally imported a 2000 VW Passat and a 2002 VW Polo new from Holland and the price of factory fitted options were all small money when compared with what VW UK force the VW dealers in UK to charge for these options. In short, VW Group marques all supplying into UK are being greedy fat pigs - to be avoided if possible, but now it has become difficult to import VW Group new cars into UK without going through them - and the competition offers not much so we just keep buying and keep getting ripped off!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.