Passat W8 interior light

lukey

4 Ringer
Sep 28, 2006
Harrogate
Im looking at doing it, although havent decided whether to spend the £45 VW will command or so for what is essentially just a nicer looking light unit

Ive found all the relevant part number that are needed to do it and a few guides of how to do it.

if you dont know what it looks like

those holes are little leds like the bottom of the rear view mirror and just adds stuff like map lights and a brighter light, aswell as looking a lot nicer
w8i13.jpg

or has anyone already done this to a mk4?

gazjones

i belive its slightly bigger than the ibiza lights can tell by the plastic around the lense, this isnt on the ibiza so i think a bit of trimming is needed, if your after just map lights early ibiza se's had them and light is brighter when opening the doors as there are two extra bulbs

gazjones

yes it will fit b ut headlining cut out is slightly larger on the passat so might need triming a bit to fit properly as when you look at the ibiza light the lense is the outside of the light
Photo-0008.jpg

this is only a little amount so may push in just though id let you know as i read somone had to trim the headlining slightly

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Passat W8 light looks amazing, I was going to fit it but couldn't be bothered with the wiring. I bought and fitted a map reading light though as the original one onl had one bulb and a switch.

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
No idea I got it off a forum member.

However its the exact same as the Leon one by the looks of things, I'd fire a wanted post for a standard Leon interior light as thats the same.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
if anyone has a go at this let me know, think Im going 2 ring my local back street car mechanic see if they would be willing to give it a go, as it would be £50 for an auto electrician

S13

May 9, 2006
No idea I got it off a forum member.

However its the exact same as the Leon one by the looks of things, I'd fire a wanted post for a standard Leon interior light as thats the same.

Thanks mate.

And it's just plug and play?

gazjones

older ibiza's as wel have the map lights in them ( well se on 52 plate ive seen does) and leons are the same my dads old leon had them and are straight swap i belive takes about 2 mins to swap

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
It certainly is plug and play and takes 2 mins as Gaz says.

Lever the clear bit off, remove 2 screws, pull down, connection out old, in the new, push up and screw in :)

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Do not dispair people...

I have fitted the W8 in my Ibiza - Ill take pics tomorrow of the W8 solder joints and where the dimmer wire goes to behind your head light switch.

Love this mod, looks beautiful at night with glowing buttons and provides a nice feint red glow. Cost me about £35 iirc

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
sweet ed I think I love u, any chance you could piece to gether a quick step guide nothing detailed just something thats in english lol.

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
This guide should do the trick: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/w8_inner_light.htm

I've got one ready to go in mine, just need to get round to sorting out the wiring.

Steve

No it wont - 2 problems:

The dimmer wire is in a completely different place.

The plug wont work in the Ibiza - The alarm sensors are in the way (for those that have them - most of us). You need to cut the end connector and solder the wires straight onto the W8 Circuit board.

Reactions: SeatIbizatdi
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.