PD 130 Passat breakdown

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
A mate has a 2002 Passat PD 130, it all started when the car was idling, it started as a miss but when he revved it, it disappeared until it idled again and then it cut out.
It wouldnt start but would start with a tow but the engine had very little power and would only restart with a tow..

He left it to someone to have a look but when it was towed to the garage the car became ok again and was ok for 2 weeks and now the problem has returned permanetly..

i had a quick look today and when you switch on ignition you cant hear the lift pump in the tank priming, no buzz, just quiet..

Would the pump have failed? Or could it be a bad connection somewhere?

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
I don't always hear the lift pump priming on my Passat, usually only when there's less than a quarter of a tankful in it.

Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel one way or the other, could be a duff sensor, blocked filter or maybe there's an air leak somewhere on the inlet side.

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
Its definately pump related but was wondering because it stopped then worked for 2 weeks and then stopped altogether can pumps that are faulty do that, i thought it would stop altogether.

The pump noise was always noticable in this car, it is now totally silent, it definately isnt budging
The reason it kinda runs when towed is because its sucking a certain amount diesel up but as the pump isnt working it wouldnt be a proper flow or pressure.

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
relays tend to fail then work for a bit, then fail again, then work. Cracked joints in these cause the problems???? Not sure which one controls fuel pumps or ECU though...sorry.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Has the car got wet floors ?

This is a VERY common problem on Passats, caused by drain point blocking up.

You might wonder what this has to do with the problems you mention - except that one of the main control modules is in the passenger floorwell:
SeatRemoved.jpg

Not sure which module it is (think it might be central convenience) but could be worth checking. It is a VERY common problem.

RichardBW

Jan 9, 2002
Leamington Spa
It is the central convenience module in the picture. If this does get wet it may play havoc with the alarm and central locking but should not effect engine running in this way.

micky 32

Oct 30, 2003
Longford, Ireland
Visit site
Would you believe im now worried about my own pump. The last couple of days the hum is louder off it when you switch on ignition but tonight when i was parked and with the engine idling i can now hear the pump over the engine its like its vibrating more and you can hear it whirring away which i never heard before, is this a bad sign?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.