Pd 160 chocolate cam

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
Sadly the worse seams to have happend to my ibiza cupra tdi. Basicly for the last couple of months ive had a missfire under light throtle load vagcom has shown no faults at all and under a good load flys like normal ill give you a run down of all of my symtoms hopefully this will add up to those who have the same problem so i can be sure: Poor starting lots of blue smoke on startup,transit van sounding engine on startup,light throtle missfire,and poor economy.Some of the symtoms sound like a duff turbo or maf but these have all been done.Gutted to say the least:cry:

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
The smoke has been happening for absolutely ages originaly i thought this was down to my first turbo packing up but two turbos later it persists even with my td hybrid and it dosen't lose any oil :shrug:

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
My cam went a few months ago, no misfire or anything dodgy just pulled up at a set of lights and top end started knocking, took it to a few garages and was diagnosed with cam/lifters, whipped the old cam out and discovered that 3 of my buckets had holes in them!!!! Still smokes the same as it before the cam went but engine note has changed, I know get a deeper gargley sound...

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Think mine has just gone on my pd150 too. :(

Although mine just seemed to suddenly go.

Last edited:

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
Ive checked mine out and it's definately gone ive got the fractures on tappet number 1 and i can feel flat spots and ridges on the rest of the cam my new cam kit is coming tomorrow with a hardend steel cam and the newer ina tappets so all should be sorted on saturday gutted though as i only had the cambelt done 4k ago:cry:

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
My engine had done 98k but the problem has been happening for a while the parts cost in total £400 with new cam kit cam belt oil and filter i had it done on saturday and all is good start up is better and all running problems have gone the cam wasn't actually that bad but the tappets had concaved a little ive seen worse pictures when trauling the forums so think i did something about it at just the right time

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Different batches of material and different heat treatment batches will give different wear rates. I thought the substandard batches of cams were only fitted to the early pd150s

I know. Sorry I should have been more clear. No PD160s were ever fitted with the bad batch of cams, as far as is known.

So any PD160s with cam failure, is down to maintenance, rather than the cam itself.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Smiff - I had mine done last weekend. When I used the car on Monday morning it was proper cold, and start up was worse than it ever was before I had the new cam, even though temperatures were colder with the old cam. Its improving every day, but not sure if this is related to the new cam or not!

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
Which kit did you use i went for the aw engineering kit with hardend tappets one tappet was a pain to presurise but other than that no problems i think my map needs adjusting but thats all maybe your timing is out and needs correcting via vagcom

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I know. Sorry I should have been more clear. No PD160s were ever fitted with the bad batch of cams, as far as is known.

So any PD160s with cam failure, is down to maintenance, rather than the cam itself.

I misunderstood what you said. I agree many garages including seat themselves don't know which oil goes in their cars so it's no surprise that some are failing at relatively low mileage. That and the fact that many car owners never check their oil, I'm gobsmacked that there aren't more cars with seized engines

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Yeah I'm wondering whether the timing is slightly out. Don't have vag com though and can't check myself.

Not sure what kit it is - pretty sure it's from somewhere north of the border, I'll double check!

smiff

Jun 14, 2006
stoke on trent
My mpg is reading quite low so i thinck i need the timing setup correctly car seams perfect now though iv had i little tickle of the throtle and its back to normal other than the low mpg so im happy again

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
I didn't have mine long enough pre- new cam to know what my current mpg is like tbh. Mine seems to be running smoother, I've done 675 miles since last weekend, so in the next couple of days I'll open her up a bit and see if she's still pulling as well as she did before.

Can't decide if I'm just paranoid, but at idle and low revs it seems more tappety, and I think I can hear a bit of a drone-y noise below 2k. Because I didn't drive the car much before the cam was done, I don't know if this is ok or related!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise