PD Vs CR

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
I'm just wondering how much better the Cr engine is when it comes to the dpf over the Pd engine?
I've had the dpf delete on my Pd cause the regens were doing my head in and we're doing shorter journeys now.

How does the Cr like short journeys? Does it regen as much as the pd engine would? And is the regen process the same on the 2 engines, as in cutting the low down power and feeling very lumpy?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
our CR 170 is 2yrs + old, 12k miles so mostly short journeys, probably 75% less than 10 miles return, and as yet never had the DPF light on.
Only ever done 1 regen run and that was only to show OH how to if light came on, to stop her panicking and ringing dealer.

Deleted member 74601

if your journeys are that short, do you really need a diesel?

This.

I believe you need to be doing around 12k a year to save money on a diesel (extra cost at purchase, extra fuel price etc)

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
I've been thinking about that. I'll need to weigh it up properly when my missus goes back to work after maternity and how many miles she'll be doing.
I like the supercopa's but the petrol turbo is going to be costly, I know cause I've had one before.
I've also looked at the small engined petrol turbo cars but I still want some decent poke so the Leon 1.4 tfsi is out of the window.
The Golf 1.4 tfsi or the Astra 1.6 turbo seem to be the favourable engines but I'm not sure if I like them that much.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I've came from a cupra R running tesco momentum fuel and went to a golf cr170 and I've done 820 miles so far and saved about £60 on fuel. That's only in 2 weeks!!

Lee M

If you run a petrol on 'high octane fuel' and swap to a diesel, you'll be on a winner fuel cost wise.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I'm just wondering how much better the Cr engine is when it comes to the dpf over the Pd engine?
I've had the dpf delete on my Pd cause the regens were doing my head in and we're doing shorter journeys now.

How does the Cr like short journeys? Does it regen as much as the pd engine would? And is the regen process the same on the 2 engines, as in cutting the low down power and feeling very lumpy?

It's a lot better. I have not actually read about a DPF problem with a 2.0 CR yet. Not even a DPF light on.

My Cr170 does very short trips all week (1-2 miles) and then a long run simetimes at the weekends. I think mine has done 1 regen so far in 8k miles. It's a year old.

BTW I have a diesel and do 8k miles a year because I like diesels. If I was skint I would get an Ibiza eco thingy roller skate car.

I got rid of my Leon FR 170 PD because the regens were doing my head in too, I got a CR170 Exeo and that did my head in because it was the wrong colour so now I have the right car, the right engine and the right colour. :clap:

Mar 25, 2008
PD - mines was on a regen 1-2 times per tank and would lose the power lower down till the regen had completed. Usually a blast down the motorway in 3rd sorted that though.

I've had two CR-170's and never once had the DPF light on or even noticed it on a regen and I'd covered more than 50k between them. One was a Leon the other was an A3, both DSG.

CR definatley doesn't feel as fast as the PD but it is a lot more refined and gets much better mpg.

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Nath, how do you find the CR against your old PD??

I've just changed to a CR170 from the PD and while it smoother and quieter, it just doesn't feel as fast. Just wondering if its just me?

I agree, it doesn't ((feel)) as fast but it actually is as fast. The power delivery on the CR is smoother and not quite as violent. The PD gives all it's torque in one short sharp wollop where as the CR feeds the torque in more gently. This makes it kinder on the tyres and clutch. Remaps are kinder on them too.

If you put a stock PD against a stock CR in a test there is no difference (I know because I've done it)

Darth Revan

Thanks Nath. Thinking about a remap, but the car still has 2 years warranty to run and i'm being told (by Revo) that the 2012 ECU in my car needs sending away, carefully opened up....and the new 102 bit encryption removed from the ECU before they can remap it :(

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Thanks Nath. Thinking about a remap, but the car still has 2 years warranty to run and i'm being told (by Revo) that the 2012 ECU in my car needs sending away, carefully opened up....and the new 102 bit encryption removed from the ECU before they can remap it :(

Get a tuning box from DTUK. No need for sending anything away and you can fit it/remove it in 5 mins yourself any time you want.

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/systems_available.php?id=2171

They work a treat :)

Darth Revan

I'll have a look at those. Been looking at tuning boxes as an alternative and you are the first person to actually recommend one. Everyone says 'go remap' - I guess i could always use the 14 day money back thing to give it a 'try'

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
I went remap route.
Went to Sedox performance in Sunderland with dyno runs before and after and paid £399 which included ecu removal and mapped.
I was there 3 hours and my car cr170 golf made 210bhp and the fuel economy is much better.
I sat on the motorway yesterday for 90 miles on cruise at 80mph and achieved 53.4 mpg which is unbelievable for the power.
I've also checked it by fill ups and for my normal running its doing 48.3 mpg

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.