PD130 - EGR valve

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
OK - been doing some searching and experimenting to disable the EGR valve.

First try :
Just remove the vacuum line and block it.
(This brings on the engine fault light)

Next idea :
Remove the pipe between the EGR and the exhaust manifold and blank both ports but leave the EGR vacuum line connected.
( Anyone tried this and does it bring on the engine fault light ? )

Other Ideas or suggestions ? - I am trying to work out what signal the electronics is looking for that brings on the fault light.

What have others done and has anyone defeated the EGR without bringing the engine fault light on ?

Mick288

Aug 3, 2009
Lisburn NI
OK - been doing some searching and experimenting to disable the EGR valve.

First try :
Just remove the vacuum line and block it.
(This brings on the engine fault light)

Next idea :
Remove the pipe between the EGR and the exhaust manifold and blank both ports but leave the EGR vacuum line connected.
( Anyone tried this and does it bring on the engine fault light ? )

Other Ideas or suggestions ? - I am trying to work out what signal the electronics is looking for that brings on the fault light.

What have others done and has anyone defeated the EGR without bringing the engine fault light on ?

This may be silly, but what do you gain from blanking the EGR valve? Ive read about alot of people doing it, but i really dont understand why :/

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
This may be silly, but what do you gain from blanking the EGR valve? Ive read about alot of people doing it, but i really dont understand why :/

At part throttle and tickover the EGR valve dumps exhaust gas in to the inlet manifold.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation

It is suposed to reduce emissions.

The car picks up better with it dissconnected and the dirty exhaust gasses dont crap up the inlet manifold.

Mick288

Aug 3, 2009
Lisburn NI
At part throttle and tickover the EGR valve dumps exhaust gas in to the inlet manifold.

EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation

It is suposed to reduce emissions.

The car picks up better with it dissconnected and the dirty exhaust gasses dont crap up the inlet manifold.

Ahh! happy days! Im gonna have to blank it up once you find a good way! haha

Has anyone wrote a "how to"? if not, i rek you should :whistle:

cyphnar

Feb 19, 2009
Swindon, Wiltshire
You wont be able to trick the ecu into thinking the valve is connected because it wont be doing anything, so the light will come on as it'll detect the error ("hey, the egr is stuck open/closed")... like techie said, if you map it out then it wont even look for it and bob's your uncle...

If you already have a map you might be able to get them to do a quick tweak.. not sure if they'll charge you?

knackerdecobre

You can turn it right down with vag com so it hardly lets any EG in

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
If you already have a map you might be able to get them to do a quick tweak.. not sure if they'll charge you?

No map on the car so can't go this route.

Car is late 2003 so seems to be one of the first that throws up a fault light when EGR vacuum hose removed.
Mate had a 2003 car (6 dial dash) - his didn't throw up a fault light and all he did was pull off the vacuum hase and plug it.

Will have to find someone with vag com to turn it down.

Cheers for all the replies

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.