PD150 FMIC on to 110?

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Has anyone fitted a PD150 FMIC on to an AHF or ALH?

Iv'e just got a used 2006 Golf FMIC off ebay for £20!! only thing wrong with it was one of the lower mount pegs had been snapped off!

I know I will have to make up custom pipework and brakets, that doesn't worry me. But it would be nice to know if anyone has had success doing this. I have seen a picture on VWvortex of a Jetta with a FMIC off a MK5, but dont know if it had an AC rad as well....

unitzero

Ex SEAT owner
Mar 20, 2007
Nuneaton
looks like you got a bargain - i remember seeing it on the vortex but can't remember all the details though sorry !

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
will it fit between the head lights. i got a intercooler to fit on my leon off ebay the box said golf mk5 tdi and torran tdi but it won't fit between the head lights so its scrap now

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Hi people, just a bit of an update on the PD150 FMIC onto 110.....

I did a bit of investigation this weekend to see what needs to be done to get this big FMIC in place!

Once the front bumper had been removed I could see whats what:

01Frontwithcrashbar.jpg

I had to remove the crash bar as well to see how the fmic could fit....

03Frontwithoutcrashbar.jpg

I removed the headlight as well to get a better view.

As you can see, once I offered up the fmic, it will have to hang quite a bit lower than usual because of the inlet & outlet pipes:

04intercoolerinplace.jpg

Looking under the front you can see it does come down quite a bit more...

07intercoolerclearance.jpg

I'm not too worried about it sticking out below too much as I will have to makeup new brackets to hold it in place.
And yes it does not fit in between the headlights, but even if you could, the pipe connections would fowl the radiator.

09intercoolerspace.jpg

The 2 supporting struts either side (at 45 deg) will have to come out as they are stopping the fmic from sitting closer to the rad. These are spot-welded to the radiator support frame. I will make up some other struts to replace these.

11intercoolerinletdistance.jpg

This side view shows where the smic currently lives. Once removed I can make up pipework to couple to the turbo outlet pipe.

10intercooleroutlet.jpg

Its gona be fun doing all this, and you might think, what the hell is the point going to all this hassle when you can get an off the shelf fmic kit. Well, 1. these kits are not cheap, and my labor doesn't cost anything 2. The OEM FMIC is very efficient and will not need to be upgraded when further mods are added, and 3. The satisfaction in doing something that others said it can't be done!

Where the bottom sticks out below the skid tray, you might think this will look a bit daft when all assembled and cause ground clearance issues. Well its no lower than the skid tray and I will also be fitting a LCR bumper which gives a bit more room, but will still need chopping about a bit:whistle:

Last edited:

af1

Feb 17, 2008
so does the 110 not have an intercooler?

EDIT:
a side mounted intercooler?

brad1

so does the 110 not have an intercooler?

EDIT:
a side mounted intercooler?

yes, the 110 does come with a side mount, but this is a fmic, so will be a definate improvement over stock ;)

leontdi130

Jan 20, 2008
Euxton (Chorley)
looks like the same intercooler i have but decided it was to much work and didn't fancy it sticking out of the bottom as i always catch my skirt with the car being lowered. i have a seat sport fmic now off an ibiza im just waiting for my silicone elbows to come so i can fit it. 3 weeks ive to wait now but my side mount has split now so i can't use the car. Gutted!!
I look forward to seeing yours finnished!

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Yes you have a point there! I will make up a bit of angled steel to fit over the bottom edge to protect from stones etc, and as you say the undertray/sumpguard will need to be relocated/extended and then blended in with the lcr bumper, I must be mad!

brad1

have you done any of the piping yet mate, and how are you going to route it?

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
No piping yet. I have sketched some ideas and I have a rough idea what pipes are required. I'll be using SAMCO hose and some alley bends etc, but I need to source a pipe with the MAP connection on.

brad1

could you put your sketch up on here mate, would be interesting to see how your going to do it, cause i may consider doing it in the future:)

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Sketch.jpg

I'm not too sure if the route from the ic outlet will be like that, it might pass closer to the wing and then up...have to see...

brad1

looks a good idea, or maybe route it the same as the 150 intercooler pipes go?

The-Les

Just out of interest? would it be worth running both intercoolers to save on a bit of pipe work or would that be pointless?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.