PD150 tapping/smoke

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Hi guys, so first things to note:

This happened once last week on a cold start, then happened all the way home from work today for about 20 mins when cold and warm

There was a lot of smoke under load today

The noise was prevalent when in gear/neutral, with clutch in or out

It got faster with revs and a little louder under load but not excessively

I changed the alternator pulley and aux tensioner only last year for Darkside items.

I'm after opinions on what it could be, where to start looking and, before anyone jumps on the camshaft train, what would cause such an instant change in engine behaviour?

The engine doesn't seem to judder or rock at all but there is a definite pulsing sound at idle from the airbox and general engine area and the knock/rattle is rev dependant, not speed or clutch related.

Thanks in advance for your helps guys!

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
What colour is the smoke, white or black?
It does sound like the cam/lifters, mine went around the 100000 mile mark and I got white smoke. I vaguely remember some rattling at about 3000 revs, but the thing I remember the most was a blowing sound from the engine when I revved it, much like you hear from an exhaust that has a hole in it.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
It was black smoke like the sooty overfuelling you expect from a blown charge pipe or similar but there was the engine noise as well.

The turbo was replaced at 98k and is warmed up before pushing it hard above 2krpm so I don't think it's that, the tapping is also entirely in sync with the revs and in any gear at any speed and even in neutral.

I think it is the dreaded cam/lifters and when I have driven over recent months I had thought a bearing was going because on a hard right with my foot down about half way I noticed a tap-tap-tap noise which was a quieter version of this noise. It's now lead me to believe that I was hearing the beginnings of cam wear when the oil was being pulled away from the drivers side of the engine and this has gradually worsened over time.

I think it's time to consider my options and see if anyone wants to try and rescue it or take it for parts :cry:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Gaz7

Jun 13, 2014
Cam shaft all day long, it's not really a hard or expensive fix if you're willing to do it yourself... If not, message me a price.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members