PD150 Turbo Upgrade?

saulgoodman

Mar 29, 2015
Hi all

I have a Leon Cupra tdi which I've owned for 5 months and is now needing a turbo replacement, according by garage the oil seal is shot.

I've been reading up on hybrids or larger turbos (such as 2256 and 2260's) which seem less rare than the gt1749vb and can be picked up relatively cheap.

I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible, but if I can get a replacement good for 220/230bhp now and future proof for more power later, I'm happy to spend a little more.

Obviously, I'd need an exhaust and remap going with an upgraded unit which needs to be factored into cost.

I've read gt22 series will need work to fit, ie manifold, actuator and oil feeds in some cases, which is work I'd have to pay for. Can anyone recommend a unit that is as close to plug n play as possible?

Hybrids appear to be more bolt on but not sure if it's worth the few extra horses if I lose low down torque?

Alternatively, you can get replacement cartridges online for around £100.. ready balanced etc. Could I get away with replacing this, or even upgrade to bigger wheels etc? Or is it not as simple as I'm assuming?

Sorry for the long list of questions, I just want a few opinions from people who may have a bit more experience than myself with the vag diesels and can hopefully correct or confirm my assumptions and point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
Search for Xman turbos on facebook or have a little google, get in touch with him somehow and he will have something for you, he's very trustworthy and has very good feedback from everybody, my mate has his hybrid killer which is good for 2.2-2.4 bar of boost, which is massive for a hybrid..

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Search for Xman turbos on facebook or have a little google, get in touch with him somehow and he will have something for you, he's very trustworthy and has very good feedback from everybody, my mate has his hybrid killer which is good for 2.2-2.4 bar of boost, which is massive for a hybrid..
Agreed, was helpful when I ordered a 2256 from him, I did however run in to trouble with fitting as you need the compressor outlet to be cut and aluminium welded to the correct angle or you risk hitting the drive shaft!

In the end I just replaced with a standard turbo as I couldn't have the car off the road for too long but his service was good and anyone who's ever fit and run one of his turbos hasn't reported any issues so far.

Sent from potato.

Last edited:

saulgoodman

Mar 29, 2015
I checked him out and his prices were good, but I've got the standard replacement as I needed it doing quickly and cheaply as possible. Trouble is, although the code is the same, the turbos are different, or at least the outlet is. The original points to the side but the new one points up towards inlet.

Can anyone explain why and if there is a solution to get it fitted fast?

(tapatalk isn't wanting to upload pic, I'll try again shortly)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

saulgoodman

Mar 29, 2015
I can't post urls yet, but if anyone cares to look, search 716213 on ebay for new turbo and gt1749vb on Google for original

Last edited:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Not to put a downer on it but that one you've posted looks to have an entirely different outlet to the original. It should point outward 90 degrees (the same direction as the inlet) and have a push-clip connection on the end of it.

In terms of moving it around, there are small bolts (6 or 8mm iirc?) on the back of the compressor housing, loosen these, rotate the housing to the right direction and then nip up the bolts.

I hope that helps, any other questions just ask as a few of us on here have removed and fitted turbos ourselves.

Last edited:

saulgoodman

Mar 29, 2015
Thanks dgjdrummer. I believe the one I've received is for the 110bhp model. I've messaged the seller for replacement, what a pita!

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Ah could be, sorry to hear that mate! They have advertised it as being for the ARL engine so they should be obliged to replace it for you.

You might find the one you buy is "clocked" differently to your original turbo and still needs the compressor housing to be rotated, if this is the case take careful note where I said to jist nip the bolts back up as I managed to shear one off the 1756 turbo I tried to fit to mine!

Sent from potato.

saulgoodman

Mar 29, 2015
Well, the seller wants another £200+ for the proper turbo - when I asked for refund he expects me to post back to latvia aswell, don't think so, surely the least he can do is arrange a collection?!

The old one was no good at all, even if I turned it, it still wouldnt be right. Plus the inlet/outlet looks smaller.

Anyway, back to square one, with less money in my pocket until i receive my refund, and my poor baby sat in pieces on my mates drive :(

Tempted to go with an XMan hybrid (probably gt17/52) depending on cash flow. I've got a decat fitted and found a remapper. Anything else required??

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
You would think so but a lot of the time postage and return fees aren't covered by sellers or eBay....

He was the one who wrongly advertised it though so I would point that out to him and see where he goes from there. Yeah from the picture it didn't look quite right.

The Xman ones look to be pretty good, the GT1756 I had off him would have been great if I didn't have fitment issues so I imagine his hybrids will be spot on as well. I would have got one of those myself but I couldn't wait to send the one I'd bought back to him and get the hybrid sent out instead. He does a hybrid killer capable of 220-230 which is the max the injectors do anyway and equivalent to the lower end of what the GT1756 does as well.

Sent from potato.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
And no nothin else needed specifically, may be worth doin an EGR delete now while you're fitting this and getting it mapped etc otherwise you'll have to pay to get it mapped out at a later date.

And maybe a cold air feed and an oil feed line would be helpful? The original one is very delicate and if you bend it it's basically unusable so worth gettin a braided oil feed and they're simple to fit but a bit fiddly.

Sent from potato.

saulgoodman

Mar 29, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

I listened to my head (and wallet) and got a direct replacement, and a decat as a reward for saving myself a few hundred. A straight swap decat is under £60 atm on ebay! New braided oil feed and oil filter too.

It's running a lot nicer. I haven't dared give it full beans yet but pickup is much smoother and feels quicker. I've found someone doing remaps for £100 so that, after backbox removal, will be my next investment.

When I get bored of 180/190bhp I will look at big turbos again ☺

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Good choice mate, I would have gone hybrid if I had my choice again but pleased with the difference a new turbo makes. What was the quality of the decat like? Is the tuner doing those remaps reputable? Just be aware you may get what you pay for if not!

I'm glad it's drivin better, once you've warmed it up don't be afraid of booting it and enjoying :D

Sent from potato.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.