pd160 cupra whistle or owl type noise????????? any idea

Apr 13, 2011
hull
hi people i have used the search but no one seems to have any ideas and it keeps going around in circels

basicly as the title says my pd160 cupra tdi when i drive or rev my at low revs between 1000k to about 2100k it makes a whistle or owl type noise its quite loud u can hear it outside as well as inside the car i looked into this befor i did find that the bottom turbo pipe had blown off so i replaced that pipe with a uprated forge pipe and fitted new seals and clips..[:@]

i have stoped it leaking from there now and can not see any other intercooler pipes that are leaking but since i changed that pipe this owl/whistle noise seems to be loader does anybody have any idea what else it could be i have been driving around with this fault for quite some time now and its starting to annoy and worry me..
:confused:
it does not seem to have a lack of power since i changed the boost hose also its not useing or loseing any oil has anybody got any ideas what else i could cheak or it could be cheers people help would be very kind cheers...........

ps sorry for the long write up

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Maybe a leak on the egr pipe or exhaust, the bolts for the egr pipe have been left slackened off in that vid to show what it sounds like.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
The pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold to the egr? Maybe it's leaking at one end, you could try spraying some soapy water on and looking for bubbles.

Apr 13, 2011
hull
That's what am going to do I think I need to get to the bottom of this fault it's winding me up no body seems to know what the fault could be also various people have the same thing but no one seems to e able to fault the system.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Well that would be my first thing to check, that and the exhaust down pipe, look for any small black, sooty looking spots, especially round the flexi.

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Had a look and can not see anything blowing really stuck for ideas on what is can be ????? There must of been someone with the same fault or very Simaulr

Apr 13, 2011
hull
It has got abit of turbo lag took it for a good run today and when changing up giving it some when it goes into the next gear it had a hesitation for about 2 to 3 seconds so something is not write now.

Also after the drive heard a rattle to find that my NSF spring has snapped and was rattling around the base of the strut so more dam expense

Jan 28, 2009
Glasgow
If it is more of a whooshing noise or whine then nothing really to worry about, if it is more high pitched then most likely or 2 things I would check are exhaust manifold gasket and downpipe gasket and any other joins on the exhaust.
is a constant noise or only on boost?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.