PD170 Stuttering Problem Solved

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
£1.50 :blink: We all paid £2 :cartman:

It doesnt totally wipe out the stutter but i only really get it every 2-3 weeks now where as on a motorway drive before i would get it every 20-30 mins

For £1-2 i say its money well spent

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Where did you all get the tool to remove the EGR? The bolts seem to be star shaped - I don't want to buy a gasket for £2 then have to pay twenty quid for the tool to fit it!

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Where did you all get the tool to remove the EGR? The bolts seem to be star shaped - I don't want to buy a gasket for £2 then have to pay twenty quid for the tool to fit it!

They are SPLINES, but if you dare chance it you could use an torx (but they dont fit properly and could strip the head).

People have used torx to undo the bolt, i didnt chance it and used my spline set, worked a treat

Last edited:

BaggyHTID

I love lamp!
Oct 2, 2007
Nuneaton
@AndrewJB - I think it may have been free p+p that's why it was only £1.50 :p

I used a a T50 bit to undo the bolts, worked fine but didn't seem a perfect fit, cost me £1.50 from the local car parts shop (robbing gits!)

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yeh its a T50 bit mine fitted perfect

£2 was without P+P its only 50p tho wont even buy me a pint

magicmcfc

Aug 26, 2004
Hi has any one tried this on a car still fitted with its dpf? Will it block up the filter quicker?.
Also noticed it says for engine codes blt . My 170 pd fr diesel has engine code bnm.
Is this mod ok to use on a bnm engine?

Thanks

magicmcfc

Aug 26, 2004
Quick question,

Is the egr value located at the front of the engine? Think I found the pipe to remove but my T50 socket is far to small to fit!. Any ideas please

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
web.jpg

Overall engine bay shot - The EGR Valve is to the right of the dip stick.

magicmcfc

Aug 26, 2004
Thanks everyone for Information

Did think it was at the front of the engine as first post, but when my T50 Torx did not fit was unsure.

Going to get a spline bit when I work out what size I need!.

Cheers.......

kinjamin

Black Altea XL 170
May 9, 2009
Thanks everyone for Information

Did think it was at the front of the engine as first post, but when my T50 Torx did not fit was unsure.

Going to get a spline bit when I work out what size I need!.

Cheers.......

Can somebody tell me the size of the spline bit used to unbolt?

Thanks!

Snews

Could this by any chance work with an 03 Leon Cupra. Been having similar issues to what has been mentioned here i.e. judder when pulling away in 1st and 2nd. Its quite a harsh judder, more like a cough i guess. Once it gets going - its fine. Have had new clutch, DMF, coils, sparks replaced within last few months, so i know its not those.
CHeers!!

LOU ROB

Jul 22, 2007
Anglesey
This sounds similar to the hesitation fix that the PD engines had. Smaller bore holed gasket instead of the o.e.m gasket near the e.g.r.
Some of the PD engines were terrible for hesitation and stutter at around the 1800rpm mark.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Best thing to do fella would be to Locate the EGR on yours take undo the bolts and pull away the "exhaust" bit of it, See if the Gasket looks the same shape as mine in post 1, If it does order one

I would look at ETKA but laptops 130 miles away

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
This sounds similar to the hesitation fix that the PD engines had. Smaller bore holed gasket instead of the o.e.m gasket near the e.g.r.
Some of the PD engines were terrible for hesitation and stutter at around the 1800rpm mark.

This is a PD engine fix its for the 2.0 PD170 & PD140 but...... its for the PD130,PD160,PD150,PD100, ETC ETC ETC aswell

Snews

Coooooool. I will attempt to take a look. Would be good if it is this £2 - bargain!!! :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.