Pe1818f Pe1820f turbo's

john banks

Feb 16, 2002
UK
Visit site
Nice. The Scooby would have a TD05 with a 90 degree inlet, but rather limited due to OEM injectors. A TD05 can do a low 12 at about 115 with the right kit on it on a UK car, but it sounds like you might be able to take one on a roll.

What speed do you get full traction from on an ideal surface and on a poor/wet surface?

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
john banks said:
but it sounds like you might be able to take one on a roll.

I was behind and had enough to come past by the top of 3rd and 4th just kept going it was never going to be a problem i knew it never had enough to put up a challenge John.

In the dry full traction in 2nd onwards, if the road is straight.

Last edited:

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Good thread,
Must say the vf34 seems to really suit the 1.8t,i've been thinking about what to do next with mine.Valves,rods,Up the boost but talking to mike it will top out at 370-380bhp with associated torque.Mike was saying that there still looking at developing a manifold so that we can run large port heads.i will be interested to see if bill can beat his times in his new build as john has said more power at the sacrifice of driveability can sometimes mean slower lap times.
This might be of interest to some of you,my friend dino,has a dyno plotter tool on his website and he has uploaded my graph,interesting to compare(try evo 6 with gt25 vs ryan a3)
http://www.mr2mania.com/plot.php

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
my ibiza is going to be getting suspension mods which will account for more on track performance gains than any likely power gains... and brakes will be revisited. Bigger jobbies req'd and less weight in the car.

No one thing will change so its anyones guess as to what contributes what.

I just want it faster.

LCR mat

LCR Eater
Apr 4, 2004
merthyr Tydfil
ibizacupra said:
my ibiza is going to be getting suspension mods which will account for more on track performance gains than any likely power gains... and brakes will be revisited. Bigger jobbies req'd and less weight in the car.

No one thing will change so its anyones guess as to what contributes what.

I just want it faster.

light weight wheels, calipers and discs to reduce unsprung weight?

john banks

Feb 16, 2002
UK
Visit site
There is lots of stuff on NASIOC about it. Not hugely popular like a lot of standard Subaru bolt pattern turbos because these Garrett turbos always seem to have a better power band when in their native housings.

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Been looking at a stnd 06 wrx 2.5L Impreza John. I reckon a 20g or Pe1820f would be intresting on a 2.5L impreza. Any idea on fitment or possible parts req to make it possible.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
what spec GT30 would you spec john for a 1.8T for compromise on spool vs power?

635cfm on the PE1820 from what I have read so far.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
The fq400 runs a gt30 on a 2 litre need i say more-LAG.Surely bills 400+bhp pe1820 is ideal for a single turbo set-up.After this we will have to see how dans TT fairs?

john banks

Feb 16, 2002
UK
Visit site
635 CFM on the PE1820 is based I think on the compressor wheel. Typical engine dyno numbers on the EJ20/EJ25 are about 1.42 CFM/BHP, suggesting about 447 BHP. 20G compressor is rated for about 690 CFM but with a TD05H turbine we tend to see them at about 440 BHP (with octane boosters) rather than the expected 486 BHP. Both turbos share the same issue - they are compressor heavy hybrids and the turbines are choked perhaps 10% short of expectation, but they also spool up well. The other issue to avoid with compressor heavy hybrids is avoiding surge during spool up. I'll put a link to a few flow calc spreadsheets I made - play with the numbers in bold and see the results. You can change the compressor maps by scaling and including new ones. Change the engine size and VE and have a play.

http://www.johnbanks.dsl.pipex.com/flowcalcEJ25720Gmax.xls

http://www.johnbanks.dsl.pipex.com/flowcalcEJ257Garrett.xls

A well matched Garrett will make more like what the compressor map CFM or lb/min numbers suggest, but the shafts are heavier, turbine wheels are bigger and the spool up is worse.

The Garrett nomenclature confuses me as different people use different conventions. I try to go by the Garrett catalogue which refers to the CHRA with -10, -12 or -14 which dictates the size of the turbine wheel and shaft. Then you can have various AR turbine housings. On top of that there are then a variety of compressor wheels in different housings. I used a GT30R-12 with 0.82AR turbine housing, and 52lb/min compressor wheel

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...OD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-005&Category_Code=GRT

On 2457cc with 8.7:1 compression, 79mm stroke and a long exhaust manifold, in a high gear it would reach 1 bar at about 3000 RPM. In 2nd gear with a cold manifold it was 4500 RPM before it really hit. I had a previous GT30R-11 in a P20 housing and that spooled up similarly but made less power. There are not publically available maps for all the wheels.

For a 1.8 to 2.0 I would go for something a little smaller than a 500 BHP capable GT30R-12 0.82AR as I tried on a 2.5 (and found laggier than ideal and an engine breaker). But if you are going to upgrade you want it to be worthwhile. Despite all the map plugging, until you try it on your engine it will be difficult to know.

On the FQ400 they went quite big and then held back the midrange torque seriously. This is a nasty feeling, I had to do similar with my GT30R on my EJ257 to avoid trashing headgaskets. It kills the spool up and midrange power, and a car with 20% less power and a smaller turbo is all over you until you get to 5th or 6th gear!

"Been looking at a stnd 06 wrx 2.5L Impreza John. I reckon a 20g or Pe1820f would be intresting on a 2.5L impreza. Any idea on fitment or possible parts req to make it possible."

STI intercooler, turbo back exhaust, fuel pump, remap and then the turbo should just bolt on. TD05H-20G should do about 400 BHP and 400 lbft with full boost at about 2500 RPM, would need about 1.4 bar mid, 1.2 bar at the top, should rev out to 7500 RPM, although peak power would be earlier. No one knows how strong the new 5 speed is, so if you started with an STI then you'd get the intercooler, better brakes, tyres, suspension, diffs, DCCD-A etc.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
john banks said:
and a car with 20% less power and a smaller turbo is all over you until you get to 5th or 6th gear!

Thats my thinking on some guys running GT30 equipped 1.8t motors. My 1.9 makes a lot of difference to spool and response. Much better than VF34 was every where.

It is restrained/constrained just like you said John on the exhaust housing.. quite high manifold pressures (playing with wastegate actuators currently), but I really do like the spool.

Since the 3" full system was added it has a real kick >5500-6000rpm to 7800rpm limiter now... definately extra significant urge it did'nt have before on 2.5", and boost level remains at the same level max as before. Most weird but faster which I like.

Just need some 4wd to make any use of it all - LOL

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Going to turbo sizing skool now :) Well interesting scouring the web for maps and various forums... Scooby ones I see a John Banks contributing on. (PE discussions etc)

thankyou.
:) :thumbup:

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.