Peculiar noise from turbo, veins sticking??

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
Had my Cupra TDi just over a year now, covered 10k with minimal reliability issues :)

Car is equipped with a Miltek Sport exhaust and De-Cat. The usual "police siren" like noise has been present since I bought the car, spooling and De spooling of the turbo.

However on a cold start the pitch of that "police like siren" has changed somewhat. A high pitched sort of scream like whine occurs for the first 30 seconds of driving. Also, and this is what made my wonder if it's a sticking veins issues, there's hardly any boost when this odd noise appears.

When the engine has been running a few minutes and turbo has been engaged a few times the noise disappears.

My local garage advises me there's a type of cleaning kit for these particular turbos and that it may rectify the problem.

Anybody else experienced this kind of issue?

All comments appreciated:)

Last edited:

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I would want the oil supply checking and would not be expecting it to do any "work" until the noise had stopped ---it should be turning from first "fire" and not engaging I guess that even fitting a new one under such circumstances would be a mistake

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
I would want the oil supply checking and would not be expecting it to do any "work" until the noise had stopped ---it should be turning from first "fire" and not engaging I guess that even fitting a new one under such circumstances would be a mistake

This sounds likea dodgy oil supply then? Have you heard of this before then? Does the symptoms I've described indicate this?

Last edited:

maundy26

well when i had my pd golf 150 i had same problem, it was flat untill it had a bit of boost through it. it never really bothered me. i used to start the car, give it 30 sec for oil to go though system then give it a little rev to ( wake the turbo up ) lol it may be sticking veins and it is worth having a go at cleaning it after all mr mustle is a few pound and a bit of pipe is pennys. i didnt do it to mine but if i knew about the mr mustle when i had mine i would have done it.
i now have a ibiza cupra tdi 160. same engine so i may do it to mine as preventative. the preventative is better than the cure. :)

Aug 8, 2011
Essex
well when i had my pd golf 150 i had same problem, it was flat untill it had a bit of boost through it. it never really bothered me. i used to start the car, give it 30 sec for oil to go though system then give it a little rev to ( wake the turbo up ) lol it may be sticking veins and it is worth having a go at cleaning it after all mr mustle is a few pound and a bit of pipe is pennys. i didnt do it to mine but if i knew about the mr mustle when i had mine i would have done it.
i now have a ibiza cupra tdi 160. same engine so i may do it to mine as preventative. the preventative is better than the cure. :)

Thanks for the advice, appreciated :) I'll get cleaned and see if this makes a difference.

Do you think it was down to poor oil pick up then? Mine has only started doing this in the past few weeks.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.