Performance Options

Chaddy74

Hi only new to the forum and Im chasing some sound recommendations on the performance upgrade path I should take.

Car is a Seat Ibiza GTi Cupra Sport 1998 110kw 2.0L 16 Valve ABF Engine.

Looking for the best air intake,exhaust including headers and a flash tune so all information would be appreciated. I have scanned the forum and have some ideas but thought i would put it out there for some additional help.

Budget $2500 AUS not doing cams port polish etc etc at this stage

Cheers guys

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Unless you go the cam route its a pretty samey route.

Exhaust system with a decat
play with the air box or a cone with a good air feed

Other than that mate get some coilovers on it with some good tyres and some strut braces and make it nice and quick round corners.

Chaddy74

thanks

Wow thats a great read thanks for pointing me in the right direction.... now then do these work ???

Ebay sell a rom chip which adds 8-12BHP for about $100 bucks AUS, item is a rom the plugs onto the logic board of the ecu controller..... any good ????

Opinions and real life experience would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers Chris

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Wow thats a great read thanks for pointing me in the right direction.... now then do these work ???

Ebay sell a rom chip which adds 8-12BHP for about $100 bucks AUS, item is a rom the plugs onto the logic board of the ecu controller..... any good ????

Opinions and real life experience would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers Chris

nope, all they do is shuttle more fuel into the cylinder, so it would add more power (well tiny in comparison)
but most time will overflood it (running rich) so save your money (or send donations to me, i'll send you a chip....might have turned green by the time it gets to you, get it "chip" :p)

Chaddy74

Got your joke..:D. unfortunately I have to disagree on this one as its not a resistor box thats tricks the ecu... as it reads its a rom chip that actually alters ignition timing and spark advance as well as fuel alterations. If these rom chips can be programmed on the bench then you should be able to alter the chip in the car on the fly, if you pickup what Im putting down.

The fact that the rom plugs into the mother board tells me that it has different parameters set....:confused: as Pauline hanson would say PLEASE EXPLAIN

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
oh sorry, i thought you meant them crappy other ones, my bad
either way, it is a N/A car, you will not get much power gains unless you go cams/throttle body route, or go supercharger/turbo if you really want power :)

Chaddy74

No worries Man thanks for your input ..... Im really looking for some real life experience on this subject someone that has installed this, for the $$ it seems like a reasonably good option. Cheers
oh sorry, i thought you meant them crappy other ones, my bad
either way, it is a N/A car, you will not get much power gains unless you go cams/throttle body route, or go supercharger/turbo if you really want power :)

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
No worries Man thanks for your input ..... Im really looking for some real life experience on this subject someone that has installed this, for the $$ it seems like a reasonably good option. Cheers

The problem is you can't adjust these chips when they are in the ecu, the technology wasn't there when they made these cars.
For the $$ it will most probably give you more power, but i'd rather take it to someone and get them to make a chip specifically for the car once you have done all the mods.

Chaddy74

Thanks heaps ..... so a piggy back style ecu mod would be the better option ? Can you please give me an example of what my options would be say supplier etc ? Thanks heaps for you input cheers Chris
The problem is you can't adjust these chips when they are in the ecu, the technology wasn't there when they made these cars.
For the $$ it will most probably give you more power, but i'd rather take it to someone and get them to make a chip specifically for the car once you have done all the mods.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
I'm not sure to be honest.... Many people get rid of the ecu altogether and run standalone but that will cost you loads more. Dinky dave is more knowledgable about tuning the system thats already on the car tan me which is the best option for the mods you want to do.

Chaddy74

Lets Hope Dinky Dave joins in the conversation as I cant send him a pm yet

Chaddy74

Can anyone tell the standard exhaust diameter 2.5" or 2.1/4 cat back for my Seat ?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I think its even less; especially seeing as I upgraded my mk3 cupra exhaust to 2.5" and surely that must have at least same bore size to the mk2 cupra?

2" standard iirc? Sure someone will correct/confirm this though

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
For the stainless steel system and decat it cost me £380......and i noticed the difference with the decat straight away.....it was almost like there was a mini kind of lag on it unless you did wheel spins everywhere.

Keep your car serviced with god oil and plugs...treat it to some MEGA leads if you want. ( i know many will argue that there the same as normal but i was sucked in by there marketing )....and keep your throttle body nice and clean. Half hour spent sending burts of carb cleaner down the butterfly will do wonders for the cars pick up if it hasnt been done for a while ..(mental note must do mine next weekend)...and as above chnage the suspension and get some good tyres.

I am not an amazing driver but after a while i knew my car was quicker round bends than any mini, astra ect ect...

Chaddy74

Anyone know anything about supersprint after market performance exhaust manifolds? Any good ?

crossedmike

i know this isnt a mod tbh but ive noticed when i cleaned mine out give it a full tank of fuel use some redex or fuel cleaner also with the oil use the cleaner then drain the oil then fill it up fresh this makes it a lot nippier because ti gets rid of all the crud from the jets and pipes do this few times and you will notice a better sound and pick up also as mentioned above get your self a drilled airbox and good cold air feed then a manifold and decat make it all fast flowing i dont know if this is tru or not but i wrapped my whole manifold and exaust in exaust tape to keep the heat in as hotter the gas gets better it disperses so it supposedly gets rid of gas easier but with these mods ive noticed a bit of a pick up and turnaround on speed and picking up i will have facts and figures later in the month as puttin on a rolling road so can give you my turnout if you like

crossedmike

For the stainless steel system and decat it cost me £380......and i noticed the difference with the decat straight away.....it was almost like there was a mini kind of lag on it unless you did wheel spins everywhere.

Keep your car serviced with god oil and plugs...treat it to some MEGA leads if you want. ( i know many will argue that there the same as normal but i was sucked in by there marketing )....and keep your throttle body nice and clean. Half hour spent sending burts of carb cleaner down the butterfly will do wonders for the cars pick up if it hasnt been done for a while ..(mental note must do mine next weekend)...and as above chnage the suspension and get some good tyres.

I am not an amazing driver but after a while i knew my car was quicker round bends than any mini, astra ect ect...

haha i sprayed carb cleaner down mine noticed a better pic up but i was told it didnt have a carb with it been multi point injection lol i dont know if this is tru or not as im a car noob i know my bits and bobs but engine new land for me lol

carb cleaner = exaust pops at high rev on motorway lol thought me car had bottomed on a bump untill it happened few times then stopped lol [B)]

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
haha i sprayed carb cleaner down mine noticed a better pic up but i was told it didnt have a carb with it been multi point injection lol i dont know if this is tru or not as im a car noob i know my bits and bobs but engine new land for me lol

carb cleaner = exaust pops at high rev on motorway lol thought me car had bottomed on a bump untill it happened few times then stopped lol [B)]

haha, its carbon cleaner.....

I use to keep my TB very clean and i gave it a very througher clean before the german show last year. ....i got the odd flame going through the tunells.[B)]

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members