Permanent live connection for head unit

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
I have purchased an Xtrons head unit which I have conected with Autoleads Harness Adpator PC2-75-4 bought from Halfords but the unit wouldnt power on. I took the lot back to Halfords and the unit powers on in the store but back out to the car with the connector and it doesn't power on. I have been advised this is because the SEAT stereo connector doesn't have a permanent live. I have been told I need to run a permanent live from my fuse box to the iso connector. I have been told I could try combining the red and yellow to see if this resolves the issue but this could mean the unit resets every time I turn off the ignition and it wont store my settings. Can some one help me make sense of this? I cant understand why this stops the unit powering on at the moment and why does the factory unit work with the wiring as it is?

The Xtrons troubleshoot page hints at this issue:-

In general If you have purchased an ISO adapter or your vehicle has a standard ISO connection getting power to your unit should be as simple as plugging the connections together, however there are a few exceptions.

These exceptions will generally present in one or more of the following ways.
-The unit will not switch on
-The unit will not hold the memory function for the time or radio
-The unit will switch on at first installation and will not switch on after the ignition or stereo is switched off
-The unit lights up when reset is pressed but will not switch on

If you are experiencing any of the above or something similar you will need to make slight alterations to how the ISO is wired.

For correct operation the stereo needs to be powered as descibed here
-Yellow Wire 12V permanent
-Red Wire 12V Switched from the ignition (ACC)
-Black Ground

Most commonly this is resolved by "Reversing the Lives" this is simply removing the RED and YELLOW wire and exchanging their position in the ISO . Each pin has a small tab that can be depressed with a small flat screwdriver allowing you to remove the pin from the ISO connection, when removed press the tab out so it will lock into place when reinserted.

I'm just trying to make sense of this so that I know what to do and connect to which. My in car SEAT connections is as the picture

2ns7tj8.jpg
]

Last edited:

iNeoTom

Mar 21, 2017
You will need to connect the red wire of your wiring harness to an ignition point in the vehicle or the new radio will not power up

Connection can be made to an ignition point on the cigarette lighter in your vehicle or straight to a fuse box ignition point

It's the switched live that you need to connect or the radio doesn't know to turn on as the permanent live is as it says permanent so the radio does not know you have started the car and it needs to turn on :)

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
Thanks for you help mate. Is the best way of doing this to join a new cable into the connector from the car which could be disconnected if I need to change back if reverting back to the factory unit? If so how would this effect cable already there?
I would probably use the cigarette lighter as that is close and easy but isn't that a permanent live rather than switched?

Last edited:

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
As I mentioned, I went through all this and only fixed it to my satisfaction by purchasing the correct Connects2 harness for the Leon. I would rather not have had to naturally.

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
As I mentioned, I went through all this and only fixed it to my satisfaction by purchasing the correct Connects2 harness for the Leon. I would rather not have had to naturally.

Thanks Saint. I do have one of those on order so that I can use the steering wheel controls, but I was advised that I would still need to fix the switched live.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
The Connects 2 harness did that, I had even gone as far as finding a suitable live which was a pain which I subsequently removed once I realized that it was no longer required

Westindieman

Sep 4, 2016
The Connects 2 harness did that, I had even gone as far as finding a suitable live which was a pain which I subsequently removed once I realized that it was no longer required

Great news thanks. When you originally suggested that I wasnt sure your issues were the same as mine. SOrry.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members