peterol light?

bassboi

Feb 28, 2010
corby, northants
hi all i have a lc 1.8t 180 my peterol light has come on i was wondering how many miles u get when this is on and if i was to find out and run the tank dry would that be a bad idea?

im not sure how many miles you would have but must agree with jgy above on not running the tank dry,

you should try to avoid running on reserve as much as possible also as when the petrol gets this low you run the risk of getting the normal crap that lives in your tank into your fuel filter and clogging it up, which will slow you down at the very least lol!

or thats what a mechanic once told me at any rate

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
16 - 19 miles on my 1.6

It seems like you have loads left when it first comes on, but 15 miles in and it's near the bottom of the guage. I always reset the mileometer as soon as the light comes on.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
I have got 16 miles out of my cupra r 225 when the trip computer said zero miles wouldnt dare go any more than that. i usually wait till the light comes on and the computer says 20 miles untill filling up.

I have heard that there is about 6-7 litres left in the tank when the light comes on, plenty of time to get to the petrol station.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
keirravn wrote

you should try to avoid running on reserve as much as possible also as when the petrol gets this low you run the risk of getting the normal crap that lives in your tank into your fuel filter and clogging it up, which will slow you down at the very least lol!

But the fuel pump sits in the tank and always takes fuel from the bottom of the tank, whether it is full or empty.

mikeholroyd

Why push it? What are you trying to achieve? You're going to need fuel soon anyway, so fill it up before playing petrol roulette and risk running out.

Both my cars get filled long before reaching a quartertank.

Also agree with not running too low to avoid pulling through sediment from the tank

Mike

keirravn wrote

But the fuel pump sits in the tank and always takes fuel from the bottom of the tank, whether it is full or empty.

like i said its just what a mechanic told me, but a 5 minute search found these - (bottom one particulary interesting i thought)

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/auto/bad-driving-habits-can-wreck-your-wallet-1.aspx

http://www.caranswer.info/maintenan...s-tank-to-less-than-a-quarter-in-the-sum.html

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/2942/Water-Contaminated-Petrol

in summary for anyone who cant be bothered looking, here are the main points as to why you should try to stay quarter or more full -

1 the emptier your tank is the more chance there is for condensation to form inside the tank leading to water contamination.

2 there is rubbish in the bottom of just about every tank, even brand new cars can pick this up from the pumps, when your petrol/diesel gets low it is more likely to 'slosh' around the bottom of your fuel tank, swirling up the rubbish which is then more likely to clog up your fuel filter, or even, in extreme cases, lead to internal engine damage.

3 (not sure if this applies to leon?) if your pump is inside the fuel tank then keeping it surrounded by fuel keeps it cooler which leads to longer pump life, do the opposite and ...

4 lots of fuel helps to protect your tank from internal rusting, its why some motorcyclists (like me) fill up their tank for winter.

5 some of the rubbish in your tank may float on top of the fuel and this might be sucked into the filter when running low.

6 you should always have loads of fuel for when the zombies attack!

im not personally vouching for any of this (apart from 6 lol) but it seems to make sense to me in so many ways to just keep a bit, especially with the occasional fuel strikes etc

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
6 you should always have loads of fuel for when the zombies attack!

im not personally vouching for any of this (apart from 6 lol) but it seems to make sense to me in so many ways to just keep a bit, especially with the occasional fuel strikes etc

im also vouching for this!! :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.